More electrical woes

/ More electrical woes #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
So, the power in my home is fluctuating. The UPS says 114v and sometimes 139v and everything in between. The lights are constantly dimming then getting bright again.
The UPS in the computer room just decided to shut itself off at random after running fine for a year. I swapped it out for another, and the same thing happened. I removed it, and the computer is now on a surge protector strip.

I moved the UPS to the coal stove and it worked for a couple of hours, then it too shut itself off. I ran one there all winter with no problem. Now upstairs, I have a UPS connected to my computer. It randomly switches to battery power. In the software some of the logged events say lost power or voltage exceeded threshold level.

I reported the lights to NYSEG twice already and have heard nothing.
Never ending electrical issues pulse 4 identical UPS devices all going bad at the same time is not likely. I have 2 new fire extinguishers arriving today.

Day two,
Now for some reason when the dryer was running the lights to the back room were barley lit and one in the bathroom would not come on at all. This never happened before. Washer shut off the lights were normal again. I tried to recreate it but could not do so.

:(

/ More electrical woes #2  
So, the power in my home is fluctuating. The UPS says 114v and sometimes 139v and everything in between. The lights are constantly dimming then getting bright again.
The UPS in the computer room just decided to shut itself off at random after running fine for a year. I swapped it out for another, and the same thing happened. I removed it, and the computer is now on a surge protector strip.

I moved the UPS to the coal stove and it worked for a couple of hours, then it too shut itself off. I ran one there all winter with no problem. Now upstairs, I have a UPS connected to my computer. It randomly switches to battery power. In the software some of the logged events say lost power or voltage exceeded threshold level.

Never ending electrical issues pulse 4 identical UPS devices all going bad at the same time is not likely. I have 2 new fire extinguishers arriving today.

Day two,
Now for some reason when the dryer was running the lights to the back room were barley lit and one in the bathroom would not come on at all. This never happened before. Washer shut off the lights were normal again. I tried to recreate it but could not do so.

Are the circuits that you are seeing problems on all on the same side of your breaker panel?

Or do they happen on circuits that are on both sides of the panel?

/ More electrical woes #3  
I have no electrical skills, but if that was happening to me, I’d get an electrician in pretty quick. Even if NYSEG came out, if the problem is something inside the house, they’d probably wouldn’t be able to fix it, but would have you hire someone. If they spot a dangerous condition inside, they might even shut off the power until the issue is fixed.

/ More electrical woes #5  

Day two,

What is UPS ?

/ More electrical woes
What is UPS ?
An uninterruptible power supply (UPS) or uninterruptible power source is a type of continual power system that provides automated backup electric power to a load when the input power source or mains power fails. A UPS differs from a traditional auxiliary/emergency power system or standby generator in that it will provide near-instantaneous protection from input power interruptions by switching to energy stored in battery packs, supercapacitors or flywheels. The on-battery run-times of most UPSs are relatively short (only a few minutes) but sufficient to "buy time" for initiating a standby power source or properly shutting down the protected equipment. Almost all UPSs also contain integrated surge protection to shield the output appliances from voltage spikes.

/ More electrical woes
Capture.JPG

/ More electrical woes #10  
Contact your electrical supplier and explain you are having electrical problems. It COULD be a transformer failing. If they don't find anything have a good competent electrician come check your main breaker and panel box for a loose connection.

Steve.