More hearing aid stuff

/ More hearing aid stuff #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
It's been less than 2 months since I got my first pair of hearing aids. I have been really surprised at how much I am hearing that I have not heard for years. Actually decades is the more accurate statement.
Today though I was shocked by what I was hearing. I use wireless earbuds to listen to music and speech while doing chores or cooking or etc. They are high quality earbuds. I have a few different brands and they all perform fairly equally. Since my hearing aids are paired to my tablet and phone, like my wireless earbuds, I decided to try listening to a podcast with my hearing aids instead of my earbuds. Of course my hearing aids amplify some frequencies more than others. That's the whole point, amplifying frequencies where I have a deficit, as well as amplifying all frequencies some amount. Anyway, after that long winded prelude, I heard today part of the intro music that I have never heard before. The podcast I was listening always plays the same intro and outro music, so I am used to hearing the same music. And today I heard part of the intro music that I had never heard before. I was shocked. I always thought that I was hearing all the music. But I was wrong. Parts of the music had been hidden from me. I still am kinda shocked, realizing how much I had been missing.
Eric

/ More hearing aid stuff #2  
I tried using my hearing aids, Phonaks', to listen to podcasts but they have a hissing sound. One is fine but when I connect the second that's when the hissing starts. Apparently it's a problem with the way the Phonaks' work, one aid connects to the device, the other connects to the other aid.

/ More hearing aid stuff #3  
I have Phonaks as well and yes that's how they work. Sounds as though you have a problem with yours because mine work fine. Getting the latest pair of HAs that I have has changed my quality of life, plain and simple. I can be in the bedroom and my wife has the TV blaring. Take my HAs out and I can't hear a thing. They are truly amazing and so much more than earbuds, no matter how much they cost.

/ More hearing aid stuff #4  
I am 2 days into my new Philips 9040 Hearlink 2 hearing aids ($1500) from Costco. I've had moderate hearing loss in the mid frequencies (bite) for many years but waited until pricing dropped. They are working fine but I noticed at the gym yesterday that they don't block ambient sounds like my other Plantronics earbuds that I use to listen to music. Thus, the ambient music that the gym plays interferes with the music playing through my hearing aids. So, I'll continue to use my Plantronics at the gym.

/ More hearing aid stuff #5  
Have had my hearing aids now for a week.

They do make a difference!

Biggest surprise so far is peeing...

I'd have closed the bathroom door a long time ago if I had known it was that loud!!!

/ More hearing aid stuff #6  
I am 2 days into my new Philips 9040 Hearlink 2 hearing aids ($1500) from Costco. I've had moderate hearing loss in the mid frequencies (bite) for many years but waited until pricing dropped. They are working fine but I noticed at the gym yesterday that they don't block ambient sounds like my other Plantronics earbuds that I use to listen to music. Thus, the ambient music that the gym plays interferes with the music playing through my hearing aids. So, I'll continue to use my Plantronics at the gym.

I have Philips 9040 hearing aids too, purchased from the West Jacksonville, Florida Costco. Very, very good exam and fitting by the Costco technicians. $1,500 is a high value price for the performance of these hearing aids.

/ More hearing aid stuff #7  
Biggest surprise so far is peeing...
I'd ask what style of hearing aid you had but I'm a bit nervous of you telling me :). You're not wrong tho.

/ More hearing aid stuff #8  
They are Starkey...a 2022 model, but still new...gifted from an Uncle who never wore them.

There's newer stuff out, although these are working fine as a first pair for me...

I went to an Audiologist for the hearing test, HA programing and fitting.

The guy has been in the business for over 30 years. He said HA technology is greatly improving and the rate of change is faster now than ever before.

Last edited:
   / More hearing aid stuff #9  
I've had the Phonaks for perhaps 2 years now.

I really do like them.

Some of my co workers can tell if I'm not wearing them because they start to look at my ears if they have to repeat something to see if I'm not wearing them (still have a bad habit of forgetting to throw them on for work).

Best feature is using them to talk with on the phone. That said, depending on the vehicle/truck I'm driving, the background noise (like wind coming in through a cracked window or the cabin in the vehicle isn't "tight" can make it harder to hear because I'm hearing all the background noises now).

When we had the mask rule in effect due to Covid, masks that wrap around your ears with hearing aids can be a PITA. Got to be careful because when you go to take the mask off, can pull the hearing aids right out of your ear.

/ More hearing aid stuff #10  
Sig, you can adjust them so that you block out most of the background noise. There are preset programs that will do that as well. I think the restaurant program is one of them.