more kubota help

/ more kubota help #21  
Based on the original question, I would go with the 3400. As far as tilling, I have a mx5000 which is geared and my lowest gear is 1.2 mph. I have always tilled in 2 or 3 which is 1.8 and 2.9 mph. I dont till much unworked ground which could require something different but haven't had that problem so far.

/ more kubota help #22  
So you guys think that 30+ hp is needed on 5 acres where 2-3 of it will be finished mowed with another machine?

MarkV

/ more kubota help #24  
So you guys think that 30+ hp is needed on 5 acres where 2-3 of it will be finished mowed with another machine?

MarkV

Needed? No.

I can't really imagine why one would need 30+ hp for 2-3 acres. I'm not sure what one would do on such a small space. But the OP asked about 3 particular models, all 30+ hp.

I have a B2710 (23 hp pto?) which was good for mowing 15 acres and for tilling and hauling around firewood trailers. I have a B21 (17 hp pto?) TLB which has done a decent job of digging, etc. on 128 acres although after six years with the 128 acres I now have better equipment. If I took the backhoe off of the B21, I'm sure it could run a cutter or tiller or rake.

Of course more hp could run a bigger cutter, but I'm not sure the extra foot of cutter would make a measureable difference on a couple of acres.

Ken

/ more kubota help #26  
I don't think it's a question of acerage. At some point, you cross the line between a nifty little tractor and a powerful capable tractor. You'll be spending somewhere between 10K-20K either way. I would prefer to buy a powerful capable tractor rather than a nifty little tractor.

MarkV

/ more kubota help #27  
My vote is for the L2800 HST if those are the only choices.

You have a total of 5 acres. 2-3 are mowed with another machine.
I would say unless you plan on tilling up ALL of the rest of your land 2x per year, you don't need the L3400.
The loader is the same on both tractors and either of them will run a 4-5" chipper just fine for hours-on-end. You will not need the extra HP for any of the other uses you mentioned.

(Edit: My vote would really be on a B7800/3200/2630/3030 all are powerful enough and more nimble for the 2.5 acres you are working)

/ more kubota help #28  
I don't think it's a question of acerage. At some point, you cross the line between a nifty little tractor and a powerful capable tractor. You'll be spending somewhere between 10K-20K either way. I would prefer to buy a powerful capable tractor rather than a nifty little tractor.

Word.

An investment in time as well.

/ more kubota help
i've talked with the dealer several times and he has pretty much convinced me that the 2800 will be all the tractor that i need. He's also told me that the gear drive isn't a problem either. He told me that he had the model that came out right before the 2800(same size/clutch/etc...forgot the model number) and he ran his 20 acres perfectly fine doing the same jobs i've told him that i need it for. He's actually trying to get my to buy the 2800 gear vs the HST or the 3400. Says that the 2800 geared is about as bullet-proof as they come. I imagine that he would make more money if he sold me the HST or the 3400, so i really am glad that i'm going with this particular dealer. Even talked about different brands with me and gave me his opinion on them. seems to be about as straight forward and all about helping the customer out.

I'm still leaning towards the HST for the one reason that IF my wife(or anyone else) has to use the tractor, it will be a lot easier for them to learn and harder for them to tear up.

/ more kubota help #30  
I'd take a 2800hst over a geared 3400, unless its a shuttle shift. Does kubota even offer a ss?