Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here

/ Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here #1  

Devildog

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2630
Just checking to see how many Morel hunters are here on the board. The season starts next month depending on the weather. Last year was not to productive due to dry weather and except for some rain last weekend it isnt looking to good this year. My friends Buddy sold his farm since last year. It was a great place to go. Going to try the George Washington National Forest and the Shenandoah National Park this year.

Its a toss up, either most people like them or dont like them. There is not to much gray area. Some of the best places is at the local apple orchard. You need a bag with holes in it to hunt them that way while your walking around the ones your carrying will seed spores. Dont use a paper or plastic bag cause it wont allow it.

/ Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here #2  
Not a Morel hunter, but my father and I go every year in July to hunt for Porcini (button), Poplar, and the occasional Rusella. Usually we finish the day by frying up a batch in about half a pound of butter - not for the cholesterol conscious but mighty tastey.

/ Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here #3  
Yes - mmmmmmm......

We have a couple of good patches on our property. In fact, when we built on it, a guy who use to live in the neighborhood said that our property was the best area and he was going to miss getting them.

Now you guys know how to locate those delicasies. Look for dead elm trees and there's a good chance you'll find them.

Another good mushroom is called a shaggy mane. The best time to pick them is before they develop a canopy (not sure if that's the proper term). They are creamy white with a little bit of brown mane on them. When they come out of the ground, they look like a, how to describe discreetly.... male member. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Terry

/ Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here
Terry,
I know the ones your talking about. We had a name for them./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Paul,
I usually flour and them cook them in the good old butter. taint nothin better/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Heres a pic of 95% what we found last year with about 5% shaggy mane/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif good name Terry

Attachments

• 6-115803-Morel.jpg
    6-115803-Morel.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 166
   / Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here #5  
<font color=blue>they look like a, how to describe discreetly.... male member.</font color=blue>

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here #6  
Devildog,

No, shaggy mane is a totally different mushroom - take a look at the picture. We usually pick them before you can see the stalk. That's why I described them the way I did....

Terry

Attachments

• 6-115823-bigmushrooms[1].jpg
    6-115823-bigmushrooms[1].jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 201
   / Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here #7  
Just the mention of " Morrel " has started thoughs of butter, morrells and garlic all grilling. But then perhaps an omlet with lots of the tasty little critters in it would be nice.
Still got a jar of dried morrels from several years ago but unfortunetly they are not of the best of the morrel family.
Happy Eating!!!

Egon

/ Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here #8  
I'm glad you showed us the picture, because from the 'member' description, I never would have identified those in the picture. Never seen a 'member' that looks like those two mushrooms. Must be my sheltered 62 years.

/ Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here #9  
I had a lot of morals in my woods two years ago. Not many last year, too dry here also.
This year looks better. Didn't know about them seeding spores. I will keep that in mind. Also
didn't know about the elm trees. I do have alot of dead elms, so that must be why they are here.
I used to pick sheephead in the fall with my grandfather, miss those days. We would find
them by old oaks that had a dead limb or too.

/ Morel (Mushroom) Season Is Almost Here #10  
Anyone tried puffballs? My old barber used to talk about slicing immature puffballs and frying them. You have to pick them before they get anywhere near the Devil's Snuffbox stage. My guide to edible wild plants says novice mushroom hunters should stick with morels, shaggymanes, puffballs and Chicken of the Woods ( the yellow bracket fungus that grows on trees) because these are less likely to be confused with the poisonous mushrooms.

Chuck