Most effective brush mower for a ToolCat (D-series)?

/ Most effective brush mower for a ToolCat (D-series)? #1  

Bronze Member
Tractor
Still searching
I'm buying a D-series on Monday and need to find a brush cutter. I have 10 acres to cut and most of it is wild fields. Can a 90" mower go through 7-foot teasels and grass, if the speed is reduced? Or does it make more sense to get a proper brush cutter?

/ Most effective brush mower for a ToolCat (D-series)? #2  
If you are asking about a 90" finish mower, I would not recommend using that unless you HAD to. A rough cut cutter can handle the the job better.

/ Most effective brush mower for a ToolCat (D-series)?
Yes, I'm asking about the 90" finish mower. Is it so much more productive that I should just rent a brush cutter for the initial cut and then maintain with the finish mower?

@rocco611 Looks like sickle mowers are not common to find as rentals. Have you seen them at any larger rental companies?

/ Most effective brush mower for a ToolCat (D-series)? #5  
Yes, I'm asking about the 90" finish mower. Is it so much more productive that I should just rent a brush cutter for the initial cut and then maintain with the finish mower?
I have both a Bobcat 72" front finish mower and a rear rotary cutter on my 5610 Toolcat. If I am knocking down 5 foot stuff, I always use the cutter because it cuts freer than the finish mower. Yes, going back over it with the finish mower will chop it up more and make it look better.

/ Most effective brush mower for a ToolCat (D-series)? #6  
Check with the Bobcat dealers in your area to see if they have a Brushcat you can rent.

Does the Brushcat shoot any material out the front of the machine? Is that common for skid steer brush cutters?

I rented a disc mulcher in the past and didn’t realize how much material gets ejected from the front. I dented a car with gravel and broke two windows in my house.

/ Most effective brush mower for a ToolCat (D-series)? #8  
Disc mulchers may be the most efficient at cutting up brush, but the very worst at throwing things a long distance.

I can't speak to the Brushcat having never used one, but my experience with tractor rotary cutters is they can discharge debris front or back if you run over a large rock or piece of wood.

I've read here on TBN that flail mowers are less likely to throw objects than rotary cutters, but can leave a finer cut than a brush cutter, just at a bit slower pace of mowing.

Has anyone used a PTO adapter with a 3-point brush cutter? I already have a Deere MX-5, so I was thinking that the path of least resistance was to use that on my Toolcat with an adapter.

/ Most effective brush mower for a ToolCat (D-series)? #10  
Do you mean one for the front? skid steer PTO adapter for a 3-point - Image Search

PTO adapter with a 3-point.png