Oil & Fuel Motor Oil as the Hydraulic Oil in Power Trac

/ Motor Oil as the Hydraulic Oil in Power Trac #131  
Spiffy, I also recall somebody some time ago called PT and asked about running hydraulic fluid instead of motor oil and the response from PT was that the tractor would "love" that fluid. I do understand the thinking behind using what the manufacturer states their product should use...and using the same logic I guess we should never use synthetic oil in our cars because the manufacturer does not state to use it?? I personally see no downside to switching the hydraulic fluid from motor oil to UTF except for a one time shot to the wallet and I do see the potential for plenty of benefits which would(in the long term) also affect the wallet but in a good way.

/ Motor Oil as the Hydraulic Oil in Power Trac #132  
Farmall140 said:
Spiffy, I also recall somebody some time ago called PT and asked about running hydraulic fluid instead of motor oil and the response from PT was that the tractor would "love" that fluid. I do understand the thinking behind using what the manufacturer states their product should use...and using the same logic I guess we should never use synthetic oil in our cars because the manufacturer does not state to use it?? I personally see no downside to switching the hydraulic fluid from motor oil to UTF except for a one time shot to the wallet and I do see the potential for plenty of benefits which would(in the long term) also affect the wallet but in a good way.
No doubt the UTF would be better for our machines than plain motor oil. There is just one real sticking factor that makes me lean toward a good synthetic like Amsoil. The viscosity rating. Seems like a UTF with only 10w30 would not be much of an improvement from a performance stand point. Since the PT is all hydraulically driven.

Our machines can use the upper end of the thicker 40 / 50 weight in extreme heat. Which keeps the PT performing all around better. As long as these synthetics have most of the additives such as anti foaming ect. Then I feel they should protect the hydraulics fairly well. I am no hydraulic expert, but I do wonder if the 20W50 isn't just a little too thick on the upper end as far as putting excessive pressure on the pumps and hoses.

Maybe I am looking at hydraulic workings in the wrong way but, that is just my initial thoughts. I think I would go with a 10w40 for my machine. Of course not sure if the 10w40 comes with the anti foam additive like the racing series 20w50. The PT came with 5w30 in it, so I’m sure I would still see a big performance gain under extreme heat conditions. :cool:

/ Motor Oil as the Hydraulic Oil in Power Trac #133  
Hi All,
I have been using engine oil in hydraulic system with hydrostatic transmission for the last 20 years and never look back. That was after I talked to one of oil company engineers. He said: modern engine oil has more additives then hydraulic oil and it is cheaper because it is produced in big quantity and lot of competition. You just have to use right viscosity for right machine in specific climate. Regards Frank