Oil & Fuel motor oil

/ motor oil #11  
Oils really got complicated when this synthetic stuff come along!
Rottila,now last poster said he used 15w40 syn,I'm using 15w40 and Thought is was regular oil,now I'm confused,my jug says triple protection 15w40,doesn't say synthetic anywhere on jug,,on rotillas web site it only lists 5w40 as synthetic[I think],its in a blue jug,mines in the old type white jug,,so what am I using now,reg oil or syn??

/ motor oil #12  
so what am I using now,reg oil or syn??

If it doesn't have synthetic plastered obviously on the label you can be pretty sure it is the standard dino oil. Both jugs look the same shape and both say Rotella T but the blue one has "synthetic" prominently on the label. Mine is in a white jug, doesn't say synthetic, and is the plain old ordinary good enough for me and my tractor Rotella.

/ motor oil #13  
Oils really got complicated when this synthetic stuff come along!
Rottila,now last poster said he used 15w40 syn,I'm using 15w40 and Thought is was regular oil,now I'm confused,my jug says triple protection 15w40,doesn't say synthetic anywhere on jug,,on rotillas web site it only lists 5w40 as synthetic[I think],its in a blue jug,mines in the old type white jug,,so what am I using now,reg oil or syn??

Sorry about that, had 15 on the brain I guess??:rolleyes: It's 5/40 Rotella T; use it year 'round with no issues what-so-ever ;)

/ motor oil #14  
Thanks for clearing it up for me,,used to use dello in another tractor and about a year ago was going to get dello[forget what brand makes it,chevron?],to use in kioti when I changed it,well got the numbers of jugs needed ,same color jug,brought them to counter and got to looking at it,[think cause of price] and saw a quarter sized little label that said syn,something or other on it,asked the guy and he said yes it was synthetic,but you could easly make the mistake.Not important later once its broke in but first oil change it might be? Heard it both ways,think I'll stick with regular oil at least till I get a few hundred hours on it,why,beats me.

/ motor oil #15  
There are a lot of good oil's out there, but I also use rotella 15-40 in my ck20, and in my last tractor also for the last 30 years in my big trucks. It's a good oil, but I'm thinking of going to synthetic next change. Gary

/ motor oil #16  
Not important later once its broke in but first oil change it might be? Heard it both ways,think I'll stick with regular oil at least till I get a few hundred hours on it,why,beats me.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe it hurts, but your piece of mind is more important than the type oil you use, so long as you keep a timely maintenance schedule. The old tenet of synthetic being too slippery to allow proper engine break-in is a myth. Some of your "premium" grade automobiles come from the factory with synthetic in them. I live where it gets quite cold during the winter, and want the benefit of cold flow capability exhibited by synthetics

/ motor oil #17  
yeah,seems like it would be a myth. I mean you got all the manufactors making it,and advertiseing it etc. If it in any way hurt a motor,new or any age,you would think they would really cover their butt in this age of sueing people over much littler things,by getting the word out not to use it till motor was properly broken in,not a mechinic either,but even from that stand point it don't make sense to me,I mean if regular oil let that much more wear happen than synthetic,you would think my old toyota with 180 thousand which has always had regular oil in it would be really using it,but motor runs just like new and has never had any work done to it,none,.,uses no oil.

But,what do I know,think I'll stick with my plan,maybe after 2-300 hours I'll change to synthetic.

What would be a good synthetic replacement for 15-40,?

/ motor oil #18  
As diesel engines don't usually reach peak efficiency for a few hundred hours I wonder if it makes sense to use the less slippery dino lubricant in the break in period with the specific goal of encouraging a little "wear" in order to reach optimal efficiency more quickly.