MOTORCYCLE - TW200

/ MOTORCYCLE - TW200 #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I have been looking around at small duel sport bikes and found I have a strong interest in the little Yamaha TW200. I was wondering. if anyone owns one and what everyone's thoughts were?
For me this is a fun bike. Something just to run around on the back roads by myself or with some friends with duel sport bikes. I am really not looking to go off-roading, mostly very back county road, some gravel and dirt roads. It looks like it will run 55 mph so that is good for the area I want it as I am not interested in riding the highways. I started riding 43 years ago and had a motorcycle on and off over the years. I am short so the low height is appealing and they seem to be more of a putt around the backroads type of machine far more than a lot of other bikes. I did look at the XT250 and a KLX230S which are nice machines but dont seem to match what I am looking for as closley.

/ MOTORCYCLE - TW200 #2  
The fuel tank is small only 1.8 gal. I guess its depends how far you plan on riding. Yamaha does make a nice motorcycle. I see the klr650 for sale around the 5 to 6k but they are heavy.

/ MOTORCYCLE - TW200
Yep - I figure I have a solid 100-mile range but I can normally find fuel in all the little towns around here. I also plan to throw a rotopak in the rear just in case.
The KLR is nice but a different breast for sure. About 460lbs, and a high seat height (thinking maybe 35 or so inches) and a ton of power. A TW is 31" seat height, very wide tires, thinking 280lbs or so curb weight, and not powerful, about 16hp. Yep a little lawn tractor has more power - lol
In case someone has never seen one:
Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 8.57.32 PM.jpg

/ MOTORCYCLE - TW200 #4  
Klr650s seat is 32"

/ MOTORCYCLE - TW200 #5  
I was looking at the DR650 and KLR650 but might have to wait till next year. I have a bike to ride now but want a dual sport also.

/ MOTORCYCLE - TW200 #6  
Love that bike!
However, people drive like complete idiots around here while texting.
I know cause I drive my tractor on the road to the farm and I get passed at 55 mph in a 40 speed limit.
We used to own a honda fatcat 200 however we sold it when we moved (big mistake) wish I still had it.

That tw200 probably gets 50-60 mpg so thats not to bad, but they are not cheap to buy.
I paid $1187. for a new fat cat back in 87.

/ MOTORCYCLE - TW200 #7  
A TW is on my list, they have been pretty scarce for a while. There are tons of mods out there for racks/fuel/trailers/etc to make it do whatever you want. Unless you were going to be on a highway or need to travel extreme distances it's a great bike for a lot of the reasons you mention.

/ MOTORCYCLE - TW200 #8  
They are slow and clunky but a fun off road toy. They are not very road friendly and I would not plan on doing anything greater than 50mph for more than a mile or two. Easy to find parts for them as they have been relatively unchanged for 20+ years.

/ MOTORCYCLE - TW200 #9  
Other options are a Kawasaki KLX300 or a Honda CRF300. New, they are about $1000 more than the TW200, but they are still very easy to ride and probably more versatile than the Yamaha (they will go down a paved road at highway speeds when you need to). All are good bikes though.

/ MOTORCYCLE - TW200 #10  
The TW200s are great bikes, and bullet proof. It takes a liitle for me to adjust to the larger wheels when I'm on one. They just feel different then a normal DP bike. I've had my SR 500 for 41 years. It is also a great outback, gravel road bike based on the TX 500.