Motorized Top Soil Screen Expanded Steel Question

/ Motorized Top Soil Screen Expanded Steel Question #1  

Luremaker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18
I have gathered all materials needed to build my Motorized Top Soil Screen except for the expanded steel mesh in a diamond pattern with hole size of 3/4" x 1-1/2". Locally I can only find this in 10 gauge (0.1345") 4'x8' ($65/sheet) and not the 9 gauge (0.1494") others have used. Do you gus with screen experience think the 10 gauge will hold up or should I make the 2 hour drive and pick up the 9 gauge?

/ Motorized Top Soil Screen Expanded Steel Question #2  
Would placing two or three angle iron braces under the expanded metal work for increased durability?:)

/ Motorized Top Soil Screen Expanded Steel Question #3  
Would placing two or three angle iron braces under the expanded metal work for increased durability?:)

I agree with egon on this. A few strategic supports might be just the thing. Please post your build, as i am looking for ideas for a dirt screener.

/ Motorized Top Soil Screen Expanded Steel Question #4  
Would placing two or three angle iron braces under the expanded metal work for increased durability?
Agreed, not being a smarta$$ but just remember to keep the angle the right way so it doesn't hold dirt.
Keep in mind tho, if you have any amount of big stones it will eventually bend the expanded metal. I think that the unflatenned would be a good choice as well rather than the flatenned in case you never thought of it.
I'd like to see pics as well.....Mike

/ Motorized Top Soil Screen Expanded Steel Question #5  
I think i would go with the thicker if it wont brake the bank buying once is the cheepest root :thumbsup:

I to would like you to post a few pic once you start been thinking about it for a while but don't know if the time is justified to build :laughing:

As i don't really have enough use for it

/ Motorized Top Soil Screen Expanded Steel Question
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am building a screen very similar to SkunkWerx's from this thread.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/124659-motorized-dirt-soil-screening-machine.html

SkunkWerX's screen is based on one from akpilot's design from this thread.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/119273-screening-plant-project.html

I have all the material except for the screen. I hope to start welding it all together as soon as most of the snow has melted in front of my shop.