Mounting solid rubber tires

/ Mounting solid rubber tires #11  
most of those tires were placed on the wheel and then the rim was "crimped" on in a press, go get a new one, you'll end up ruining the rim trying to pry it back on

/ Mounting solid rubber tires #12  
What is the best way to remount a solid rubber tire onto it's steel rim. My son rolled one of the tires on my Woods finish mower this evening and I'd like to try to remount it rather than go out and get a replacement.

Hi. I just mounted a solid rubber tyre on a wheelchair. It was quite a struggle - I left a pool of sweat on the floor - but I succeeded. I heated the tyre in boiling water, though I don't think that made much difference, because the tyre was cold before I finished, but maybe it did. I clamped the wheel by its central bolt in a vice, securing it with a clamp to stop it rotating. I used cable lubricant to lubricate the tyre and rim thoroughly. I started the tyre on the wheel by pushing it into the groove in the rim, and then secured it by wrapping string around the rim and tyre so that it could not pop out. I then pulled on one "end" of the tyre and pushed it into the groove, going gradually from the starting point, and keeping the rubber stretched as much as possible. When the tyre became tight, forming a chord across the wheel, I used a screwdriver with a round shank to lever the tyre further on to the rim. I kept the screw driver between the tyre and the rim, and rolled it along the inside of the tyre, so that it skidded along the outside of the rim. As it did so, it pulled the tyre on to the rim, and I kept the tyre pushed well into the recess in the rim as I went. I used a clamp to make sure the tyre would not slip off the rim when I paused. I also helped the tyre on to the rim with a second screwdriver, ahead of the round-shanked screwdriver, to make it easier to advance this latter tool. Eventually the job was complete, and I was able to withdraw the screwdrivers. Now for the other tyre - when it comes! The shipping agent lost one of the pair that was ordered.