Mowing Mounting this pull behind flail mower out in front of my 425

/ Mounting this pull behind flail mower out in front of my 425 #1  

CreativeGuy

Bronze Member
Tractor
PowerTrac PT-425
Greetings.
I've been thinking of a front mounted flail mower for my 425. Doesn't look like there are many options (unless I lived in Europe)
I came across this ATV120 pull behind flail mower. Any suggestions as to how I might convert this to be front mounted? I have moderate welding skills. and a couple of extra accessory mounting plates for my 425.
Flail.jpg

I was thinking of maybe some sort of three point chained attachment or partial swivel attachment so that the wheels wouldn't be stressed when I turned the tractor. I would probably want to replace the engine with hydraulics from the tractor.
I have not purchased this mower (yet) so any other suggestions for front mounted flail mower options would be appreciated.
Cheers & Thank you for your ideas
Steve

/ Mounting this pull behind flail mower out in front of my 425
One use would be to cut through some pretty heavy brush that I would not enjoy driving through first. Plus I would be spending a lot of time looking behind me. (Which would be great for my chiropractor)
There was a lot of discussion about how great the PT front mounted brush hogs are for that very reason. But I'm a bit terrified of those spinning blades and material and broken blades getting shot out at great speed and distance. This is generally not (as much of) an issue with flail mowers.

/ Mounting this pull behind flail mower out in front of my 425 #4  
I purchased a used flail mower for my 422 several years ago and have only used it several times it cuts fine but I just use the finish mower most of the time. If I could get it out of my shed easily I would post some pictures of how it is set up.

/ Mounting this pull behind flail mower out in front of my 425 #5  
If you are cutting heavy brush I am unsure that what you are looking at is a good idea. A heavier duty version maybe. I am big on buying used gear and repurposing and am looking at an 8 foot flail that I will build a pushing mount with serious Guage wheels and operate it hydraulically. You can do the same to thhat one although you may need to change the rotational direction

/ Mounting this pull behind flail mower out in front of my 425 #6  
I found some old pictures of my flail mowerP7300001.JPGP7300002.JPGP7300003.JPGP7300004.JPGP7300005.JPG

Wow Ernemats, that's exactly what I'm thinking about. There is very little "lawn" on our property except maybe on top of our earth sheltered home. Not much that I would need a finish mower for. What I need to cut down and maintain is all brush and blackberries. (This is Oregon, it never stops growing)
Did you convert a standard rear mount FM? If you would ever consider selling your flail mower, please message me.

Cheers and thanks for posting the pics.
Steve

/ Mounting this pull behind flail mower out in front of my 425 #8  
How many HP is that engine on the one you're looking at? I believe we once calculated the HP of the main PTO on a PT425 to be around 11.5HP if you figure 2500psi X 8gpm / 1725 = 11.669hp.

It has an 11HP engine so it would appear the hydraulics on the 425 would be plenty to run it. I'm also looking at standard rear mounted PTO mowers to possibly convert. They seem to be a bit heavier duty.

/ Mounting this pull behind flail mower out in front of my 425 #10  
I bought it used of a pt owner who had bought it used and converted it to fit his pt 425. The owner died and his son was selling his pt and all attachments. The mower was called a mott mower I believe but I think it is about the same as a flail mower. I have used it some to cut grown up fields and it does ok but you have to go slow. I have thought about selling it but I just haven't made up my mind yet.