Mounting Tiltmeters

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
For the longest time I've been looking forward to starting my very own "L2500 Enhancements" thread, but now that the time has finally arrived I've decided it's better to have separate smaller threads that deal with each enhancement individually. This also allows certain enhancements, like this one, to appear in the most appropriate forum, such as "Tractor Safety".

I ordered my R&B Manufacturing Slope Indicators before I even took delivery of my tractor. Since I was buying a previously-owned Kubota I waited only until I was sure that it wasn't aleady equipped with such devices.

As soon as I had my tractor and indicators together I realized that there was no good place to mount them easily. Best results are obtained from mounting them on a vertical surface or using the brackets provided by R&B Manufacturing and fastening them to a horizontal surface.

Much to my dismay, I realized that my new tractor had no horizontal or vertical surfaces anywhere in the vicinity of the control panel -- so I made my own. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I could have modified the brackets provided and achieved a similar result, but I was determined to have a larger black surface to mount to, not only to cut down the glare from my shiny orange machine /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif, but to provide a convenient place to mount future doodads, such as a digital thermometer, clock, switches, etc.

A couple of pieces of strap iron and a piece of black-anodized aluminum (do you computer/electronic dudes recognize where this came from?), and I was all set -- at least for the side-tilt indicator.

For the front-to-back slope indicator I mounted it to the only vertical surface available in that direction, namely my fender-mounted toolbox. Time will tell if this will be a permanent home for that one.

The attached photo shows the setup I am currently using. I am curious about how others (without canopies) have handled this problem. We have received classic support from Rick at R&B Manufacturing -- now we just need the tractor manufacturers to help out a little, too. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #2  
As a confirmed "computer/electronic dude" it looks to me like that piece of aluminum is a blank off plate for an instrument rack. It is good to see one put to such a good use./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif MJB

/ Mounting Tiltmeters
MJB -

You win the prize!!!

It is indeed a 19" rack-mount cover plate. I picked up a bunch of these at one of my company auctions way back when I was doing the corporate America thing.

BTW - the distance between the lower uprights on my ROPS is exactly 19 inches. Stay tuned for another enhancement thread. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #4  
Re: Mounting Tiltmeters--Chalkley Technology

Could Chalkley magnet technology be used to mount tiltmeters on appropriate tractor surfaces? Maybe that way one tiltmeter could be rotated to measure front-to-back or side-to-side. Or maybe the magnet could be glued to the tractor, and onto it you could place a cup or a tiltmeter (in either direction).

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #5  

Glennmac - Clearly, you have forgotten what happened to heretics during the inquisition... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

MarkC

/ Mounting Tiltmeters

Glenn -

Use one tiltmeter for both directions???

Whaddya trying to put Rick out of business?

Remember -- I take all ideas seriously, so watch what you say. I'm still working on a way to use magnets to hold a magazine in place so's we have something to read while we're drinking and driving and talking on our cell phones. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #7  
Harv, that's real neat installation, but I'd have just had to do a little cutting and/or grinding and smoothing on the top corners. I just don't like exposed sharp corners. And of course, you'll have to be careful in the woods and not let a limb hit it.

Bird

/ Mounting Tiltmeters
Bird -

I'm with you on the sharp corners. This is basically the prototype model to test the "proof of concept".

I had this panel in place for nearly all of my culvert projects and it passed with flying colors. During my ill-conceived romp through the woods it tooks a couple of good shots from branches and was unphased.

It's sturdier than I originally thought it would be -- doesn't vibrate and puts the tiltmeter in a perfect viewing position.

Not bragging -- just reporting. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #9  

Oh right, Harv.... give us a break!

Like how-the-heck are you gonna read AND watch tv at the same time??

:) Larry

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #10  

Don't forget...Harv reads, watches tv, surveils the Forum, tractors and helps the neurally challanged snivelers like me.
Looking at his photo of himself...as a guy 52 yrs. old (less than 1/2 way to the " big re-build! ")...
what ever this dude drinks, I want a couple of cases of it so I'm that young looking after heavy quaffing!

LazyK.gif

Lazy K - Chip