Moveable Wall

/ Moveable Wall #11  
These type of partitions usually are hinged with a pivoting mount in the center of each section that runs in a ceiling track. I don't see another practical way to do it because, as noted by others, the base would be very wide and in the way if it's not top supported. This may be a situation where the commercial solution is the best way to go. If I was building it, I would plan a ceiling track, lightweight panels (wood frame, foam filled, thin board surface) with casters and running in the top track.

/ Moveable Wall
I should have been more informative when I posted originally. Here is a picture of the inside of the inside of the building. I want to hide the chairs, table, etc. stored at the far end. The end opposite of the one shown has the kitchen, a classroom, and the bathrooms seperated by a long hallway. The hallway leads to another exit door. The end is 48'5" wide. The height of the building is around 20', and the height of the lower wall is 7'6". The purpose of the walls is to hide the junk stored in the open at the end of the building and to allow the large room to be divided into two parts.

Church Building.JPG

The walls I am wanting to build, if nobody can give me a better idea, will be made of lumber with the same type metal siding attached to them. They must be easily moved by a small woman. They must be stable. They must not cost a great deal as the church has just finished paying off some construction.

I want them built and in place before my daughter's baby shower in Feb..

RSKY

/ Moveable Wall #13  
What about just running some wire cable from one post to the other, and run fabric if its just to hide the junk. put some grommits in the fabric and you can easily move it around. you could always put some small weights in the bottom of the fabric to hold it in place and keep kids from running under it.

/ Moveable Wall #14  
Looks like a Behlen or Butler building although they all look alike. Acoustics have to be terrible in there and a partial wall isn't going to help. You need to partition that place up or you won't be able to hear the person across the table talking to you. Good Luck!

/ Moveable Wall #15  
OK. That helps a lot. You want the mobile wall to match the existing lower wall in height and make it from the same material so everything looks nice. Lumber is going to need diagonal bracing, but the metal siding material may provide that. You'll probably want to include some J channel (I think that's what its called) around the edges to slip the siding into on the top and sides for a more professional looking finish and to protect fingers from metal edges. I'm not a siding guy. Do you have a siding guy in your church? Anyhow, it would seem a wood frame of 2x2s would work. But the hard part will be fastening the frame to the wheeled section and have it sturdy enough so it won't break out the wood if side loads are put on it. How much does the siding weigh, plus the wood frame, plus the fasteners, etc... hmmm.... It will definitely be an interesting project. With good wheels, even heavy items roll easily, so that's probably the least of your worries. Don't go cheap on the wheels. You might want at least one locking wheel on each end as well. Wish I could help you more. Maybe there's some siding guys here on TBN.

/ Moveable Wall #16  
Looks like a Behlen or Butler building although they all look alike. Acoustics have to be terrible in there and a partial wall isn't going to help. You need to partition that place up or you won't be able to hear the person across the table talking to you. Good Luck!

To me, the building looks a lot like our airplane hangars with insulation between the steel beams. I don't recall much echo in there.

/ Moveable Wall #17  
Seeing the picture helps a lot. I have trouble seeing the rolling partitions as being workable. Between the trip hazard of the supports and the weight if they do fall over, I think it's not advisable. We have a similar (but somewhat larger) hall at church. At one end, we added a wall with large openings. In the openings, we put commercial accordian fabric room dividers. This allows the space to be an alcove off the main space with the dividers open but closed off when needed. We actually have two separate rooms and since we don't need the large space to often be larger, we used the rooms as storage and classroom/meeting room, but it could be all one if needed.

I think adding a permanent wall with an 8 or 10 foot high opening would be more functional and safe.

/ Moveable Wall #18  
RSKY,

I don't think your idea is a bad one at all. 2x2 wood wall frame, with studs on 18" centers to facilitate fastening the 3' wide panels. See if you can buy the panels in the lightest guage possible. Only need sheeting on the facing side, right? Use J trim to hide the edge and provide a finished look.

For a height in the neighborhood of 8' or so, I would want the base 4' wide. Mount the wall panel on the base such that you've got 1' of base out front and 3' of base behind. Brace the panel diagonally down to the base front and rear at both ends, and put an additional brace diagonally in the rear at the center of the wall span. Maybe carpet the front side of the base so it looks nice. Weight down the rear side of the base a bit.

Constructed thusly, your new 9' long portable partitions ALSO function as carts to stack all the folding chairs on... on that 3' of rear base. Roll a partition down to the other end of the room and unload/load chairs and tables, then roll it back into place. Handy!

/ Moveable Wall #19  
Constructed thusly, your new 9' long portable partitions ALSO function as carts to stack all the folding chairs on... on that 3' of rear base. Roll a partition down to the other end of the room and unload/load chairs and tables, then roll it back into place. Handy!

I like that idea! :thumbsup:

/ Moveable Wall #20  
Or build storage at the base of the partitions. That would hide the "stabilizers" while providing weight and something useful. With the right kind of locking wheels the partition storage would be easy to move even when loaded and safe.

I am thinking of building an integrated raised bed/garden fence combination which is a similar idea.

Not sure you have the time do build something more complicated but you could plan it out and maybe build part now and the rest later.

Later,
Dan