Moving 15000 lb 12x40 park model mobile home with toolcat?

/ Moving 15000 lb 12x40 park model mobile home with toolcat? #11  
I wouldn't pull it up the hill, Id feel much better about pushing it thereby planting your weight onto the machine and gaining traction. Plus you can drive better forwards than reverse, although you wouldn't be able to see around the trailer. I would hope you would have a spotter to help though.

Maybe I should clarify. I would want my machine on the downhill side if I was rigidly connected to it and I didn't out weigh what I was pulling. The thought being the tongue weight should give you more traction and more likely a chance of success of getting up the hill. If your machine is on the uphill side and your using the loader to pull it, its going to want to pick your rear end up in the air and worst case scenario, you start to slid a little bit and you yak on the brakes, your going to be doing a nose wheelie down the hill. Id give it a shot either way and see which feels more comfortable and not put alot of weight on the internet's opinions because we aren't in the seat operating in your unusual case.

/ Moving 15000 lb 12x40 park model mobile home with toolcat?
Point well taken. I'll definitely be careful on the uphill part. May even go ahead and hook up the winch line from the jeep just to be on the safeside. I haven't got the trailer yet, so won't be doing anything for a while. I'll get some pictures when I do.

I wouldn't pull it up the hill, Id feel much better about pushing it thereby planting your weight onto the machine and gaining traction. Plus you can drive better forwards than reverse, although you wouldn't be able to see around the trailer. I would hope you would have a spotter to help though.

Maybe I should clarify. I would want my machine on the downhill side if I was rigidly connected to it and I didn't out weigh what I was pulling. The thought being the tongue weight should give you more traction and more likely a chance of success of getting up the hill. If your machine is on the uphill side and your using the loader to pull it, its going to want to pick your rear end up in the air and worst case scenario, you start to slid a little bit and you yak on the brakes, your going to be doing a nose wheelie down the hill. Id give it a shot either way and see which feels more comfortable and not put alot of weight on the internet's opinions because we aren't in the seat operating in your unusual case.

/ Moving 15000 lb 12x40 park model mobile home with toolcat? #13  
Assuming no friction and 15000lbs trailer weight you need 2604 lbs of pull on a perfectly smooth 20 percent slope.

In other words you should consider brakes more than engine.

Available traction will limit your setup. Do it when the ground is dry and consider a backup plan if it wants to pull you back down the hill and into the water.

/ Moving 15000 lb 12x40 park model mobile home with toolcat? #14  
I pulled this shipping container 200' up a 20* slope.
But I used a 500' cable and a 14k snatch block tied off to a really big poplar tree.
I hooked the cable to the shipping container, thru the snatch block and then to the draw bar on the tractor.
That way the tractor was going down hill pulling the cable.
I know that you need to hitch the trailer tongue to something though.
But you could put some kind of safety leash on the front of the tractor to prevent a runaway situation.
Maybe a winch to a truck?
I have one of those Harbor Freight 12k With a wireless remote and I did use that as my safety leash.

IMG_1114.jpg
Chain on shipping container to cable

IMG_0469.jpg
Snatch block

IMG_0468 v2.jpg
HF Winch

/ Moving 15000 lb 12x40 park model mobile home with toolcat? #15  
The Max tongue weight is rated @ 500 pounds. Tongue weight of 1500 - 2000 lbs. could twist the frame where receiver is attached.

/ Moving 15000 lb 12x40 park model mobile home with toolcat?
It moved it with no bent frame. However tongue is on heavy side of 2000 lbs as the front arm will not lift the tongue. Oh well. I had the trailer delivered to the river and hope I don't have to move it much.

Larry

/ Moving 15000 lb 12x40 park model mobile home with toolcat? #17  
It moved it with no bent frame. However tongue is on heavy side of 2000 lbs as the front arm will not lift the tongue. Oh well. I had the trailer delivered to the river and hope I don't have to move it much.

Larry
How? Where? Pictures?

I guess you mean the receiver hitch? Or 3 point?

Last edited: