Moving a large boat trailer?

/ Moving a large boat trailer? #21  
I move all my trailers with my RTV900 using the front ball hitch. Your BX should weigh about the same thing as my RTV It is so much easier to maneuver a trailer from the front of a vehicle. You could likely attach a ball hitch to the front of your truck if you cant use the tractor but I dont think that your tongue weight will be too much for the BX to lift with the FEL.
Just get a bolt on hitch that is secured with two clamp type bolts for the FEL bucket. You can install and remove it in 5 minutes or less. It take just a few minutes to learn to drive the trailer backward using the FEL (just move the tongue to the left for the rear to go right).
When I put my boat into the shed, there is only about 4" of clearance between the shed door and my fuel tank and it is an uphill slant so I could never push it in by hand so the RTV front mount is a must for that. Try it with your BX and I think you will like doing it from the front of the tractor.

/ Moving a large boat trailer?
Excellent input everyone! The pillars are ancient brick and they aren't put together well. Will be super easy to knock over. this is going to be fun:) I just walked the stretch just to get a feel of it and to appease my fears. apparently, the property right behind mine decided to have about a 1 foot rise at the edge of the road that immediately drops right after. Essentially a large road bump with hole on the back end. I suspect whatever dozer or grader they used to level the property just pushed everything back behind the fence. Given the elevations and land drainage, I bet the guy gets flooding in his backyard. Almost looks like a pool. It is a narrow road - 24ft compared to the 30ft on the road over. Certainly taking out the pillars will give a lot of cushion, but if all else fails, I will have several ways to go about tackling the problem. I would hate to leave a brand new boat right out front for others to enjoy and walk off with.

The driveway is about 300ft to where the boat is going to stay and will need to get close to the house. I have had no problems doing this with the truck trailer, but sometimes it's also nice to be able to make fine movements/turns with something smaller. I will certainly give the FEL a consideration - the nice thing with the receiver add-on is it can stay there with the backhoe in place. I also have an adjustable ball/hitch which should accommodate the trailer tongue. If worse comes to worse, use the tractor the first time to make the bend then use the truck the rest of the way. I will let you all know how it goes and how bad a trailer driver I really am.......

/ Moving a large boat trailer? #23  
And then there is landing the boat at the boat launch, they say more divorces start at the boat landing than anyplace!

/ Moving a large boat trailer? #24  
And then there is landing the boat at the boat launch, they say more divorces start at the boat landing than anyplace!

... and piling on the OT ... I used to go down to the local ramps on the first nice day of spring and just watch. Always saw some hilarious, profoundly stupid, and near-tragic antics.

I trust the OP isn't of that ilk ;)

happy boating,
Z.

/ Moving a large boat trailer? #25  
You might be able to move it, but when you start to turn is when the fun starts. I would not try to back it in with a little tractor, it could dump you over real quick.

/ Moving a large boat trailer? #26  
I would not hesitate to move the boat with the BX.
Not sure if anyone thought of this though. Get yourself a new trailer jack with a wheel on it and set the height of the wheel to just make contact with the road/driveway. On smooth surfaces the wheel will roll and take up some of the tongue weight!

/ Moving a large boat trailer? #27  
I would make the situation so you don't need to unhook it from the truck at all. Seems like a lot of screwing around needlessly. Take down whatever is in the way and drive right on in. But, it would be nice to be able to move the bot with your tractor anyway/

... and piling on the OT ... I used to go down to the local ramps on the first nice day of spring and just watch. Always saw some hilarious, profoundly stupid, and near-tragic antics.

I trust the OP isn't of that ilk ;)

happy boating,
Z.

Oh heck no! I have trailered boats and done the ramp bit. It is quite hilarious watching some people launch a boat. thankfully, I have never had any problems. Usually the really stupid stuff involves alcohol.

I would not hesitate to move the boat with the BX.
Not sure if anyone thought of this though. Get yourself a new trailer jack with a wheel on it and set the height of the wheel to just make contact with the road/driveway. On smooth surfaces the wheel will roll and take up some of the tongue weight!

Yeah, my understanding with the stock trailer is the jack is the horrible cheap things. That is an upgrade worth getting.

I would make the situation so you don't need to unhook it from the truck at all. Seems like a lot of screwing around needlessly. Take down whatever is in the way and drive right on in. But, it would be nice to be able to move the bot with your tractor anyway/

that is the goal - I don't want to have to use the tractor if I can get a way with it. Your right, I don't like the needless screwing around, but what I didn't want to happen is getting stuck with the truck/tractor and not have a backup method. Besides, it gives me more justification to having the tractor:) Maybe even a future upgrade....