moving a pallet of green firewood

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #21  
Using some numbers from THAT chart, if you divide the BTUs by the weight, you get ~6400 BTU per pound for MOST of the wood on that list.

There are a "few" exceptions to that though. And the only thing I can figure is that those few exceptions must dry out to a lower moisture content by air drying.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #22  
Here is another wood btu chart.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #23  
Tree Species and Firewood BTU Ratings Chart for Heat Energy Content

Confused :)

For clarification purposes (not trying to hijack or flame)

1 pound of wood; any species gives off same BTU's?

On the chart posted above a cord of different types of wood give off much different BTU's

A cord; How Is It Measured?

Follow these steps to ensure that you have received the correct quantity:

Stack the wood neatly in a line or row, ensuring that individual pieces are touching and parallel to each other with as few gaps as possible.
Measure the length, width and height of the stack in feet (for example, 4 feet x 8 feet x 4 feet).
Multiply these measurements to calculate the volume in cubic feet.
If your result is equal to 128 cubic feet, you have a cord.

Conflicting info here?

I actually missed this the first time, but look at the link you posted. Here is a quote from the bottom.

All firewood has about the same BTU per pound. Non resinous wood has around 8000 to 8500 BTU per pound and resinous wood has around 8600 to 9700 BTU per pound. Less dense softwoods have less BTU per cord than more dense hardwood but they also weigh less per cord. Resinous wood has more BTU per pound because the resins have more BTU per pound than wood fiber has

Their numbers really dont make with their chart, and they dont explain why. But what I have read on other sites is that the 8000-9000 BTU number for wood is @ 0% moisture which is only attained in a lab. In the real world, there will still be moisture in the wood, thus you will never actually get 8000btu per pound.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #24  
I have the same tractor with a Stoll FC 350 FEL with clamp-on forks...
The clamp on forks that I have utilizes a 2x4 receiver at the back of the fork to facilitate adding 2x4's as standards...
This has worked really well for me...
I can get the forks under a load and then curl the bucket back to get the load closer to the front axle...
If you could do this with your pallets you may be able to lift the load up with the curl of the bucket all the way back...
This would give you the ability to lift more than if the load was entirely on the forks...

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #25  
Yeah I have always been told the 8k btu per pound also. I dont bank on it but on the other hand all we have is our instincts to judge output.

IE a full load of hedge vs a full load and cotton wood in the stove will separate the myths quickly!

Oh and I have clamp-on forks and they didn't do well for me kept bending my bucket lip so I went with ssqa and pallet forks and all is good now fwtw.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #26  
Yeah I have always been told the 8k btu per pound also. I dont bank on it but on the other hand all we have is our instincts to judge output.

IE a full load of hedge vs a full load and cotton wood in the stove will separate the myths quickly!

Hedge and cottonwood are still the same btu per pound. It just so happens that a full load of hedge weighs about twice as much. THats why you get more BTU out of it:thumbsup:

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #27  
LD1;

Thank you for the clarification

Eric

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #28  
Hedge and cottonwood are still the same btu per pound. It just so happens that a full load of hedge weighs about twice as much. THats why you get more BTU out of it:thumbsup:

No man you missed the ball altogether go back and reread what I did say.

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #29  

Oh and I have clamp-on forks and they didn't do well for me kept bending my bucket lip so I went with ssqa and pallet forks and all is good now fwtw.

I have been real fortunate with my clamp-ons as the bucket is still in tact and not deformed...
My bucket has reinforcement bars welded onto the bottom of the bucket which is where I lock my forks down...
So far so good...

/ moving a pallet of green firewood #30  
No man you missed the ball altogether go back and reread what I did say.

I guess I dont know what "myths" you are talking about.

You said

So what myths are you talking about??

Since hedge is about twice as dense as cottonwood (even though they are the same btu per pound), the hedge will put off about twice the BTU's since you can get about twice as many pounds in their. Thats all I'm say'n