moving cut stone

/ moving cut stone #1  

Marshal9

Tractor
JD4410
I was able to obtain the remains of an old root cellar which was built out of cut sandstone blocks 10"hx12"wx36"-48"l. My cousins and I dismantled the foundation and walls by moving the stones in the bucket of the loader (JD4410 w/430 loader). That was not much of a problem. I will be using the stones to rebuild another cellar house. I was wondering if using the loader with a heavy duty style log tong attached would work to set the stones as they have cut dimples on either side which look as if that was used as a mark to lift them originally. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

/ moving cut stone #2  
We have used logging tongs for hauling out trees but not rocks. If the dimple is deep enough so the thongs will grab the sandstone securely it sounds like it should work. The weight of the blocks should be ok for lifting as well, your JD4410 w/430 is a decent size. While doing this think safety, hate to drop one of those blocks at the wrong time. Post some pics of your project when you get it going.

/ moving cut stone
thanks guys for the replies. if the tongs don't work, maybe I can set up some type of pallet forks and slide the stone into position.

/ moving cut stone #5  
would love to see some pics of the cellar when your done. How big is it? what type of roof?
thanks

/ moving cut stone #6  
Pallet forks work well if you are in a positon to slide the stones off into position. I have a set of tongs a friend made for me that we both used to set stones around our ponds with my mini excavator. I think they open to about 3ft and have worked pretty good.

The wife said she'd carry them over if I'd place them :)

Topstrap

/ moving cut stone #7  
Get a set of forks for your loader. There are plenty for sale on the internet. What kind of tractor do you have?

/ moving cut stone #8  
The log tongs should work just fine if they are heavy enough I have a set of regular stone tongs and they are about the same thing only heavier

/ moving cut stone
Topstrap, nice job on setting the stones. Those look like the same ones I have. My project this year will be to move the stones from WV to NJ. It will give me more of an excuse to visit relatives. It will take a few trips I am sure but in the end it will be worth it. The original building was approximately 12'x16' and took about two days to dismantle with my JD4410.

/ moving cut stone #10  
The forks would prob work but it seems that when stacking them up for walls like they were initially laid making or using a set of tongs would work better. Easier to pick up and place instead of sliding them off and wiggling them around to get in place. It's amazing how heavy they are and being able to pivot and swing them to place them made it a lot easier.

Can't wait to see the your finished job, I just love these big stones and have been accumulating them over the years from jobs I've done tearing down old houses or just finding old foundations in the woods. These came from an old house foundation nearby that was on the original National Road that is now RT 40 from an old drugstore/tobaccoshop. Nice to recycle and not waste things that took so much work to make.

Topstrap