Moving dead cars

/ Moving dead cars #11  
well last summer i towed my fathers old international dump truck to the junk yard, they wanted 50 bucks to come pick it up, but if i dropped it off they would take it for free. so i took a heavy logging chain and hooked it around each side of the front axle of the truck and then took my 11 hole drawbar and my drawbar hook and hooked it to the chain, just tight enough that i could lift the front of the truck with the 3pt, it worked great, couldnt turn too tight cause the truck bumper would hit the tractor tire, but it towed fine with the trucks front wheels off the ground, and it was a good sized dump truck, much bigger than a 1 ton truck. another thing i have done to move around junk cars in the yard was use my 3pt pallet forks, with 7ft extensions slid over the forks, and lifted up the entire car from the side, never did it on anything bigger than a nissan pickup tho, i dont think i would try it on a fullsize pickup, atleast not without front weights on the tractor

/ Moving dead cars #12  
Slamfire,

I am guessing. I have not scalled it in along time, but its a diesel with 8800 lbs GVWR. So 3/4 ton (1500 lbs) minus 8800 lbs gives you about 7300 lbs. Most of that is in the front end when its empty.

Maybe I could pickup the rear end but I would not want to pickup the front end. Those 7.3L diesels are heavy...

Fred

/ Moving dead cars #13  
Phred, I think you'd better scale your truck, I'd be suprised if it went over 5000 lbs. That's the beauty of 3/4 ton trucks, some of them haul more. GVWR will vary between 6000 and 8000+ but the truck weight doesn't go up all that much. You get heavier springs, shocks and bigger brakes with the heavier rating.

/ Moving dead cars #14  
Well you maybe right, but ford use to make two different kinds of F250s. One was only slightly heavier duty than a 150.
But the heavy duty model is almost a 350. I bieleve the rear diff is the same, just only two wheels and lighter springs. The front is a dana 50 IFS not the smaller dana 44 you find in the light duty trucks.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/6-54039-truck1.jpg
Fred

/ Moving dead cars #15  
Slamfire:

My 2500 weighs in at 6475 pounds with a full tank of fuel. Extended cab --4x4

Egon

/ Moving dead cars #16  
Slamfire.

My 1999 F350 Supercab 8ft Box, Diesel, 4x4 Automatic weighs 7,640 lbs.

/ Moving dead cars #17  
Rich There used to be alot of trailer slings built here for folks to haul cars, Ive helped build a couple. We just used a 3x3 square tube however long wed like and make a 4 to 6 foot wide axle out of the front spinldes of a pickup. then we welded a mast on it about 4 or 5 feet tall. Then we'd mount sheave wheel, on the mast and mount the hand winch somewhere on the tongue. Off the mast cable we put a hook and then build a clevis mounted sling out of conveyor material and put the lower draw bar on it like an old sling type wrecker. They worked real good, ALot of folks used thm till a couple years ago when a few folks built some that half way welded them and caused the DOT to rag the owners. My older brother had a good one and a 3/4 ton truck we hauled no telling how many cars and pickups to his shop or the junkyard. They work good on a tractor as they dont strai nthe 3 point hitch or our lift, but its advisable to build or buy an overrunning brake system if your on hilly ground. Also use turn limmiting chains on the drawbar to prevent jack knifing on a steep hill. But if your land is flat his isnt necessary. I need to build one in my spare time to move the carcasses around here before I strip them.