Snow Attachments Moving snow with a backblade

/ Moving snow with a backblade #11  
Another not really related story!! While stationed in Iceland 7 and a half years total. The Icelandic snow removel crews would hit the runways with up to 5 trucks wide. They really flew and they were great to watch. It was like a ballet of snow trucks. Talk about some awesome equipment.
Al

/ Moving snow with a backblade #12  
The state DOT (plows state roads and highways) around here (buffalo, NY) has really embraced the gang plowing style. It seems that you always see the plows in groups of 4 or so doing the whole width of the road in one pass. What baffles me is why some people insist in driving up around, between, and near the trucks. Like they're going to make better time on the unplowed road ahead of the the trucks? Anyways, they make shelves here too with the wing plows on the regular trucks. Seems to work. Helps with visibility for those entering the highway from parking lots or side streets.

/ Moving snow with a backblade #13  
Steve, I seen that on I-90 when went thru Buffalo on my way to bike show in Toronto a few years back. They were plowing the same way over the border too. There was a huge snowstorm. Trailer trucks were jackknifed off the road all along the thruway. You have to wonder why some feel a need to get in FRONT of the plow trucks.

/ Moving snow with a backblade #14  
alan40,
Saw almost the samething on I-91 just out of Springfield,Mass but that was only four trucks and they had wing plows also,plus the last truck was a ten wheeler...you could tell all 4 four have been doing this for years.

The lead was a Mass State Trooper and the group was going 55mph, /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif and I'm kinda surprise somebody didn't try and pass them. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Indeed its a sight to see. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Moving snow with a backblade #15  
Yup. That's the way we do it in the great frozen Northeast!

Pete

Attachments

• 5-30625-Winter1.jpg
    5-30625-Winter1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 151
   / Moving snow with a backblade #16  
I tried every which way to widen my road with the tractor. The road is only eight feet wide in summer; wintertime sees it whittled down to five feet if I don't stay on top of it.

I've been able to do a great job with my other toy, er, machine: a Honda ATV with a blade. Angle that baby to the left and nibble at the snow at 15 to 20 mph and watch the white stuff fly!

Pete in Northern Vermont

Attachments

• 5-30626-Snowplow.jpg
    5-30626-Snowplow.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 169
   / Moving snow with a backblade #17  
Just one question. Who's having more fun clearing the driveway.....the handsome guy on the ATV or the dogs who get to run along and "help"? Great looking pair of setters.

Bob Pence

/ Moving snow with a backblade #18  
Anybody ever watch an Oshkosh Sno-King chew through the remains of an avalanche? That thing has two power plants: one for the truck and one for the blower. I got a chance to climb around on one AFTER it did its handy-work. The auger is so big I could walk inside and easily sit on an impeller blade. I'll bet it could chew up a car and burp tire breath.

The only thing even more wild was watching a diesel locomotive snow blower. Man, I sure wish I had pictures!

/ Moving snow with a backblade #19  
<font color=blue>Anybody ever watch an Oshkosh Sno-King </font color=blue>. I never saw one in action but a number of years ago a friend and I were driving up Mount Rainier in November. The walls of snow were already over six feet high along the road. These weren't snow banks, actually vertical walls thanks to the sno-king. We were in awe. They get over 1000 inches of snow a year up there and try to keep the visitor center open year-round.

Rob
18-25126-790sig.gif

/ Moving snow with a backblade #20  
I went and looked at one of those diesel locomotive snowblowers when I was in Alaska; very impressive. It wasn't in operation since it was summer, but I'll bet that's a sight to see when it's being used.

Bird