Snow Attachments Moving snow...

/ Moving snow... #21  
Chuck, I'm too far away to help on any regular basis........... but if you do buy a blower and need a hand in the fall putting it on, and a hand in the spring taking it off, I'd be happy to spend an afternoon giving you a hand.

/ Moving snow... #22  
Wow, Chuck- sorry to hear about your condition. My wife went through chemo & radiation last winter- not fun. Hope you make out as well as she did- seems to be OK now.

Concerning your snow removal- I'm a firm lover of a front-mount blower on my tractor, but for a hundred feet of driveway a rear-mount would probably be just fine- a lot of people seem to have no trouble with them.... BUT--

and here I would agree with several others- let someone else do it this winter! Take it easy and get well!!:)

/ Moving snow... #23  
Chuck why not use the FEL on your BX for snow? We have a gravel driveway and many times use the FEL for snow removal. Trick is to keep the bucket angled up about 3/8" or so. Best of luck battling the Big C.

/ Moving snow...
Well, I have to say that I'm a little overwhelmed by all the support, and offers of help. Thanks to everyone! The cancer is what it is, and it doesn't care who it picks on. So far I'm beating the odds, and holding my own. I have a couple of pretty good weeks in each three week chemo cycle, and I have every intention of keeping going when I feel well. Last week I did some work with my rotary cutter, chipper, box blade, loader, and forks. I've been puttering at my trails in the woods along with taking care of the yard. I have a couple of sons in their late 30's, and they are close enough to help now, and then too.

I've done some measuring in the garage too, since I happened to think that some rear blowers stick out there a ways. Maybe today I'll go for a ride to see just how much of an issue that might be. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards just letting neighbors that have offered help out.. I did use the loader a few times last winter when I wasn't quite up to snuff, and it worked pretty well. Question for those of you with front mounted blowers. How do they follow uneven ground contours? Is there a little more float in that set up than in a loader bucket?

/ Moving snow... #25  
Chuck, what float there is is the same as for the FEL (and I definitely do use it), as they use the same hydraulics-- there are also times I manually raise it just a bit. I still manage to zing a few stones from my driveway regardless- but that happened with my walk-behind, too.

There are a couple of threads on TBN about bolt-on frames that can be mounted to a front-mount blower with casters on them; I made a print-out of one of the "solutions" for a future project. It does look like a good way to hold the blower up just a bit.

In the meantime, I just drive over the first few 3" snowfalls (with wife's car-- wide tires/AWD) to get a base, and then I'm good to go from there. (Of course, every thaw/rain means I have to start over again...:eek:)

I find that once the base is established, it's pretty quick to go through any amount of snowfall, be it 5" or 3 feet.