Mow along the highway

/ Mow along the highway #1  

SCtractorguy

Silver Member
Tractor
L3240, BX2350, RTV 900
Anyone else do it? I usually leave it for the county to mow. But since it was 2' high and I needed to check out the new shear bolt on my Lands Pride rotary mower I went up and down the road for about 1/2 mile. :eek:
I did enjoy listening to the grass being cut and then had some trails to catch.

/ Mow along the highway #2  
I do it. Looks better and it is a long wait for the county to get R dun. They do it twice a year, and mainly just to knock brush down and noxious weeds before they seed.

/ Mow along the highway #3  
Anyone else do it? I usually leave it for the county to mow. But since it was 2' high and I needed to check out the new shear bolt on my Lands Pride rotary mower I went up and down the road for about 1/2 mile. :eek:
I did enjoy listening to the grass being cut and then had some trails to catch.

You really need to be especially careful on the right of way mowing, there could be about anything thrown out there for your mower to hit. Ken Sweet

/ Mow along the highway #4  
I mow my 1,000 feet of county right of way on a regular basis so our property looks nice..otherwise I would have a jungle..The county here only mows twice a year..once int he summer and once in the fall.

/ Mow along the highway #5  
Ken, You are sure right about the need to be careful...one time I almost ran over a computer monitor someone tossed out...and occasionally a glass soda or beer bottle could be dangerous and flatten a tire quick..

/ Mow along the highway #6  
Ken, You are sure right about the need to be careful...one time I almost ran over a computer monitor someone tossed out...and occasionally a glass soda or beer bottle could be dangerous and flatten a tire quick..

A tire is the worst thing to hit with a rotary cutter. A hit on one of them almost always tears up something. Ken Sweet

/ Mow along the highway
Y'all are right about the stuff thrown out along the road. The worst I've hit is plastic bottles and beer cans. I keep the bucket of the L3240 down and hope it hits something before the mower does.
I only mow about once a year and let the county take care of it the rest of the time. Unless its really dry and a big fire hazard. I don't want a carlessly thrown cigarette to ignite the grass then my woods.

It does look better all cut down though! :thumbsup:

/ Mow along the highway #8  
Sometimes I'll cut one width for a mile on one side where I ride my atv to get to another part of my property. When it puts on seeds they hit you in the face.

/ Mow along the highway #9  
I keep mine mowed down and trash picked up on one side and the family that farms our land takes care of the other side of the road. Most farmers in my area do the same thing as the county only comes by twice a year and I don't think they have sharpened their mower blades since they bought it.

/ Mow along the highway #10  
Ken, You are sure right about the need to be careful...one time I almost ran over a computer monitor someone tossed out...
:laughing: wasn't really expecting that.
Gotta admit, would be kinda funny to see (from a safe distance...)