Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245)

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245)
I unpluged the wire from the clutch and started the engine. The blades still engage with the wire off. Does this mean the clutch is broken?

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #12  
I unpluged the wire from the clutch and started the engine. The blades still engage with the wire off. Does this mean the clutch is broken?

Most likely, or like others have said, something is binding the plates together. Or has broken the return springs.

-Now if you said 'Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is not running', then you should probably get a priest. :devil:

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #14  
View attachment 370987 Air gap may be too narrow between plates, some can be adjusted.

I was going to suggest that if he had just worked on it or changed the clutch. But since it was working fine before, and now has issues, I dont think it is the air gap. Typically as it wears out, the air gap has to be adjusted tighter to compensate or you have issues NOT engaging.

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #15  
True. Seems like the problem is the clutch, for sure. Either broken, rusted, gummed up or has something jammed in between the clutch magnet and the driven plate. If you can't see anything wrong, then take it off and see what doesn't spin.

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #16  
Yep - can't hurt it now.... take it off and dissect. Worst case, you'll learn something & have to buy a clutch. Best case (hopefully!) is that you'll figure out what's binding and be able to resolve it. This message will self destr... ooh, never mind, that's another forum!

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #17  
i keep thinking of some tractors that have clutches that stick if left in storage with
the clutch engaged. i wonder if the mower was shut off with the PTO engaged, and
has sat for winter, and then being in contact the clutch plate and clutch material rusted
together.
i can't say for sure, but in a tractor like this, if the pto is left engaged while the tractor
shuts down, does the clutch stay engaged until it gets power again? or would the
clutch disengage with the key being turned off? i know on some tractors you can
engage the clutch without starting the tractor, it's a distinct sound if you cycle the pto
switch while the key is on.

I will pull the clutch off today, to see if if I can find out what the culprit is.

After reading all of the great advice, I am going to pull the pto clutch off my J/D, check it out or replace it. Does anyone know how to remove it and reinstall. Thanks torgep22

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #20  
Locate and disconnect the power supply cord from the clutch. Remove the bolt, washer and retainer from the center of the clutch, It should now slide off the end of the crankshaft provided you have previously removed anything such as body parts or braces that would be in the way. In some instances penetrating oil must be used to help free it up. When you reassemble it, it is a good idea to use a little bit of anti-seize on the engine shaft in case you have to remove it in the future.

Clutch assembly from Green:

John Deere Electromagnetic PTO Clutch Assembly - AM130328