Mowing Mower deck spindle

/ Mower deck spindle #11  
Here's a link to the manufacturer's website. Dzus Fasteners

They have a nice little 'calculator' that will help you pick the right fastener/retainer. Does anyone know the correct information for the PT425? If so, you can run the calculator and let the rest know what sized fasteners we should get! I've already done the maintenance 3x, and think this would be a GREAT mod!

Sounds like a good project!

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Mower deck spindle #12  
i was thinking about something to make it easy myself. along the lines of how gravely did it. take the four bolts out , now screw them up through the bottom of the deck, put the nut on each one . now set the cover back on, those bolt now locate the cover. now all you have to do is hold it down.
find a spot on the deck near the center that doesn't interfere with anything and drill a hole in the deck. take a piece of all thread rod say 1/4" and long enough to make a mark in the cover. with a nut under the deck and one on top it will hold the all thread in place, put the cover back on and mark the spot where it hits the cover a drill where it left the mark,now open the too a larger size (makes it easy to get on and off). the 4 bolts you put in the deck keep the cover in line the one you put in the center will hold it down
after you adj. the all thread to where enough is above the cover to put a wing nut or self locking nut or a threaded knob.
take the cover back off and place two nut on the all thread so you have something to tighten against under the cover to keep the nut an top tight.

/ Mower deck spindle #13  
Hi Johara1,

I needed to read your explanation a couple of times, but it makes sense! That's an excellent idea for the deck covers. I was thinking more along the lines of the hex bolts used to hold the cover plates for the 8 hour maintenance that MossRoad has done such a great job of illustrating on his website.

8hr04.jpg

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mower deck spindle #14  
Well Bob, I hope they answered your question /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The dzus fasteners that I would like to someday put in will be slotted head like a standard screw(see Smartguyz attached picture). All it will take is a 1/4 turn with a stubby screwdriver and they will release. I became familiar with them when I worked at the airport. They are popular on aircraft engine cowlings. But they can be a little pricey. Still, just click, click and click and the inspection plate is off! Pretty cool fasteners. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mower deck spindle #15  
mr, the only thing wrong with the dzus fasteners is they have to go into a open area plus the large hole for the receptacle.this area is the deck and is exposed to grass ond dirt and flying stones,i don't think they where made for this.

/ Mower deck spindle #16  
<font color="blue"> the only thing wrong with the dzus fasteners is they have to go into a open area plus the large hole for the receptacle.this area is the deck and is exposed to grass ond dirt and flying stones,i don't think they where made for this </font>

I agree that the deck would be a bad location for Dzus fasteners. What I was speaking of was the inspection covers on the tunnel between the operators' legs to get to the treadle pedal grease points /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif