Mowing Mower gear lube

/ Mower gear lube #12  
just sayin..

/ Mower gear lube
Many thanks to all who have responded. This is a good forum, with lots of "pros".

Vettman

/ Mower gear lube #14  
I just use Amsoil's best gear fluid and change every 300 to 500 hours. I know my 60" MMM is about 12 degrees cooler on my IR meter (on gear case)

That temperature drop is with the amsoil lube?

/ Mower gear lube #15  
A little confused here....
My tractor had an old "FORD" built 5' deck with it when I bought it. Seems to run OK, when I keep it out of rocks:ashamed:
The seller says he pumps a half tube of GREASE "every now and then" I've checked the plug/quantity and it's about 2" down.
I, too, thought 90 wt. was the preferred lube....but GREASE????
Also, I see one poster using 140 wt. That sounds close to my GREASE?
Soundman suggested a 75 wt.
Do we go thick or thin?
BTW, the front shaft seal (from the PTO) is leaking badly, maybe that's why he was using GREASE....:confused:

/ Mower gear lube #16  
Boeing said:
My tractor had an old "FORD" built 5' deck with it when I bought it. Seems to run OK, when I keep it out of rocks:ashamed:
The seller says he pumps a half tube of GREASE "every now and then" I've checked the plug/quantity and it's about 2" down.
Do we go thick or thin?
BTW, the front shaft seal (from the PTO) is leaking badly, maybe that's why he was using GREASE....:confused:

It's not uncommon around here for guys to shoot their gearbox full of grease once it starts leaking rather than replace the seal. The problem with that is when they use a non-slumping grease that gets flung off the gears and stays clinging to the walls of the gearbox. You need a grease that's thin enough that it will 'slump' back down and contact the moving gears, but not so thin it leaks out the seal.

/ Mower gear lube #17  
That temperature drop is with the amsoil lube?

Yes...Do not know if any synthetic woudl do that but it dropped. Even the front diff dropped about 6 deg using there gear fluid...

/ Mower gear lube #18  
Do we go thick or thin?
I'm the feller that uses the 80/140 and it doesn't appear in any way to be like grease. It runs as thin as the 80/90 or seems like it to me. I bought it at Advance Auto in order to purchase enough stuff to get the like $30 off $60 purchase. It is Mystic brand, I think. It was just a bit more expensive. Again, in my opinion, as long as the gears are lubricated and not getting dry, it's OK. An employee at the Kubota dealer told me one customer pumps grease in with the gear oil in his tiller chain section. On my tiller, the chain is totally immersed in the lubrication product.

/ Mower gear lube #19  
asked my dealer same question 80/90 was his answer

/ Mower gear lube #20  

lets sort it out

Do we go thick or thin?

grease.. many times a mower or other implement gets a weepy or leaky input or output shaft seal. for whatever reason ( can't find a seal / don't feel like doing the work ), some people will pump the gearboxes full of grease to keep them from leaking. Now.. doing this, you usually use a #0 or #00 EP grease.. JD cornheader gearboxes are boxes made to run in a light grease. i have a howse HD mower that specs heavy oil or light grease.

Now.. the #0 and #00 greases are uncommon to find on regular store shelves, so some people get lazy and pump them full of #2 gun grease. this isn't real ideal as the grease is thick, and forms a cavity and extrudes out of the gears and does not easilly slump back nto the sump like a #0 or #00 grease will. some add the #2 grease and a lil gear oil int here to mix it up into a souply mess.. that works.. a lil better.. etc.

75w90 is a common replacement for applications needing 80w90 you have to look at both numbers.. not just the first number. those are pretty much standard gear regular duty gear oils. 85/140 gear oils are for use in heavier applications.. etc. Again.. not uncommmon to see hd gear boxes needing 140wt gear oil. And no.. 140wt gear oil is NOTHING like grease. 85/140 gear oil comes in a jug.. is thinner than honey.. and will pour just fine..

#0 and #00 ep greases are a bit stiff, more like a pudding.. though will slump and fill voids.. though generally don't leak like a gear oil world.

if your seal is leaking bad, the best answer is to repalce it, and in many cases, the bearing, as a bad bearing will cause a seal to go out.

if you choose not to fix it, then get some #00 ep grease and fill it.

snapper lawnmower dealers carry #00 ep grease... you can get it from other sources too:

770-123 - SNAPPER/7061017 - Stens Part 770-123 - 00 GREASE. Replaces OEM: SNAPPER, 7061017, SNAPPER, 61017, SNAPPER, 11050 Specs: 1 quart bottle , Size, Used in transmissions, gear boxes, and disc drives that specifically call for a grease of this co

Grease

soundguy