Mowing Mower on FEL

/ Mower on FEL
Thanks for all the comments. If any of you decide to take on the project I will be happy to tell you all the things I would do differently on the second try.

Note that the mower was designed specifically for the Kubota B2400HST with 18 pto hp, so the hydraulic pump is adequate to transmit about 18 hp. Had I known I might upgrade to a larger tractor, I might have chosen a larger pump that produces substantially more flow, and therefore transmits more horsepower.

However, to keep the mower input rpm at 540 (when the pto was also turning 540 rpm) I would have to have used a larger motor and therefore more horsepower would be transmitted to the gearbox. Although the Squealer gearbox is "rated" (whatever that means) for 40 hp, the present setup seems to me to put about as much load on the mower as it needs. So if I had gone to the larger system I would have reduced the maximum system pressure by adjusting the relief valve to keep the horsepower input to the mower to around 15-20.

I will try to answer your specific comments.

rback33 is right, safety glasses are advisable, and the one picture without them was my daughter just playing with the controls. She was not cutting.

schmism's point about the screen makes sense, but in actual use nothing comes back at the operator because it is deflected down to the ground . Very few pieces even strike the radiator guard. That surprised me, because I expected shrapnel to fly in all directions, but it does not. After a year of use, it has never thrown anything even close to the operator. Knock on wood.

jmc: the blades are 40-44 Rockwell C. I know that because about 40 years ago I was the plant manager/chief engineer for a local iron works that made (and still makes) OEM blades for Bush Hog, Woods, Servis, and lots of others. The blades drilled pretty easily with a 5/8" carbide "spade" bit and lots of cutting fluid. I did not tap the holes for bolts. The bolts pass through the blade and are held by a plate and hex nuts on the upper side. I torque the bolts to 250 foot pounds and then discard them after each use. Unless I hit a rock, the carbide teeth last for at least 30-40 hours.

I don't use the setup for routine mowing. I thought I could when I designed it, but when the FEL is put into float to let it follow the contour, the mower wants to lever back under the tractor and push the front end up (just like the bucket does in float). I plan to add two more guage wheels at the front and they may help it move along more easily.

If I were doing routine mowing, I think the stump grinder teeth would leave a pretty scraggly cut, and I would probably keep a second set of blades without the teeth on them.

dmccarty, I think you can get everything except the mower for $2,000 or less. I looked at the skid steer attachments at the time I planned this mower and they were all too heavy and required too much power for the Kubota B2400. There may be lighter and smaller ones availabe now. The LA 853 loader on the L4330 is rated for 2400 pounds at the pivot pins, and although the mower weighs only about 500 pounds, it is still a pretty good load when working on hillsides, around ditches where the ground is soft, and in other tight spots. Part of that is because the mower sticks out so far in front. I think it would take a much larger tractor than the L4330 (more weight, larger tires; the 39 pto hp of the L4330 is more than adequate) to carry the skid steer mowers I looked at. But in their defense they can cut much heavier brush than mine can. We wanted to save all the trees we could, so most of the clearing I do is to get rid of the thickets of small (1-3") pines and 1-2" hardwoods, together will all the briars and vines that grow up in them.

Thanks again for the nice comments.

/ Mower on FEL #13  
Farmerford said:
Thanks for all the comments. If any of you decide to take on the project I will be happy to tell you all the things I would do differently on the second try.

OK, I agree. It's a nice job.

But, IMHO, your setup is as dangerous as ****. The last thing I want is a brush hog spinning at 600 rpm hanging on an FEL at eye level with nothing between my face/chest and flying debris.

You've been lucky so far. At the very least I would recommend that you install an expanded metal screen between the hog and the driver's seat. Why risk an accident. I don't think that tilting the hog gives adequate protection.

I have one attached to the ROPS on my B7510HST that I install when I run my 4-ft KK hog on the 3pt.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Attachments

• Kubota-sunshade, protective screen on ROPS.JPG
    Kubota-sunshade, protective screen on ROPS.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 459
   / Mower on FEL #14  
Flusher,

While I agree this could be dangerous if used inappropriately, if used appropriately, this is much better than rear-mounted cutters. The operator never has to turn around to see what is going on, and does not have diverted attention.

There is a reason that this sort of thing is not sold commercially, and it is that it can be idiot-proofed. However, non-idiot proof tools can be safely and significantly more useful in trained hands than less risky ones.

Farmerford,

This is a great concept, and well done! My suggestions for improvements on a further iteration would be as follows:

Make the loader attachment closer to the deck so that the loader can be lower during operation to improve both visibility and stability.

Move the deck closer to the tractor by mounting the QA further forward on the deck. This would also improve the visibility and stability, as well as lessening the lateral movement during turns.

Thanks for sharing
Chris

/ Mower on FEL #15  
dynasim said:
Flusher,

While I agree this could be dangerous if used inappropriately, if used appropriately, this is much better than rear-mounted cutters. The operator never has to turn around to see what is going on, and does not have diverted attention.

By the time he sees what's going on, he could have a piece of wood in his chest.

The minimum protection I would install is an expanded metal screen attached to the FEL arms with hose clamps.

This FEL/hog configuration, IMHO, is better suited to a skid steer machine that has an enclosed cage with built in ROPS.

/ Mower on FEL
Flusher: The blades are actually spinning at 1,037 rpm because of the 1.92:1 overdrive ratio in the gear box. Intuitively it does seem dangerous, but in practice that has not proven true since I started using it in 2005. The expanded metal screen radiator guard I made for the front of the tractor extends far enough to mask virtually all of the mower width. Things look different from the tractor seat than from the ground.

Of course it does produce the flying debris of all rotary mowers so I don't mow when anyone is close by.

Chris: Thanks for looking so carefully. You caught two of my design errors. As I mentioned earlier, I built the mower for a B2400HST, which is much smaller than the L4330. The FEL on the B2400 did not stick out nearly as far in front and, in fact, the Squealer would almost touch the radiator guard when it was lifted.

When I changed to the L4330 I took the easy approach of using the same attachment points on the mower. Furthermore, the LA853 loader, according to the dealer, sticks out unusually far even on the L4330. He recommended the smaller of the two FEL's available for the L4330 because it does not stick out so far, but I chose the larger one.

Unfortunately, it is somewhat complicated to shift the mower back toward the tractor because the cross bar on the quick attach (between the pivot arms) hits the gear box. And as built now it would hit the hydraulic motor on the "front" of the gearbox. I would have to rotate the gearbox 180 degrees to put the hydraulic motor on the rear of the mower. Then I should be able to move the mounts to the new "front" of the gearbox with the cross piece just touching the gearbox.

The seemingly excess height occurred because I hoped to be able to shift the mower to the side for mowing outside the wheel tracks. The two 4" x 4" x 3/8" cross tubes that connect the quick attach to the mower deck are connected to each other with bolts through evenly spaced tabs so that, in theory, I could unbolt the tubes from each other and reconnect them with the lower tube (and attached mower) offset to one side or the other from the upper tube that is attached to the FEL. After I build it, it became obvious that this was impractical for two reasons: 1. the little B2400 could not handle that much weight off to the side, and 2. the rear of the mower would no longer be masked by the front of the tractor and the radiator guard and it would be pointed back toward the operator which would cause the hazards flusher talks about. Therefore I would eliminate both tubes on the next try and just bolt the QA brackets to hardpoints on the mower deck, which would lower the affair by 8".

Since I can't mow off to the side very well with this design, I plan to build a 5' sickle bar mower to substitute for the Squealer when mowing off to the side in the grass and light brush along fencelines, etc. I have located a source for the heavy ag type sections, knives, knife heads, and guards for a 5' sickle mower that should handle brush up to about 1" diameter. I will have to build the cutterbar from cold rolled bar stock, but I don't think it will be too difficult. I think I can drive the knife with a pittman arm using an eccentric mounted on the shaft of a hydraulic motor that is rated for a substantial radial load and use my existing powerpack to power it.

/ Mower on FEL #17  
The outfit that mows some of our ditches here uses a side mounted mower on a hydraulic arm. I estimate it to be at least 72 inches in diameter. The thing eats trees several inches thick, trims branches off as needed, etc. It can be extended several feet out to the side of the tractor, lifted up or down, and angled to match the contour. The same guys have a flail type mower that also hangs off the side of the tractors when all they will be mowing is normal grass, multiflora, and small saplings.

Used properly, neither of these seemingly dangerous items has been involved in any injury causing accident for many years. The flail came close one time when some idiot left a 20 lb. propane cylinder buried in the tall grass in a ditch and it was hit. Fortunately, it was empty. The operator never knew he hit it, but I found the cylinder with a substantial hole in it.

Steiner sells a lot of tractors with front mounted finish mowers that can be lifted several inches off the ground. The things work very well when making nature trails or mowing under pines and other trees with low hanging branches.

/ Mower on FEL #18  
Farmerford said:
Since I can't mow off to the side very well with this design, I plan to build a 5' sickle bar mower to substitute for the Squealer when mowing off to the side in the grass and light brush along fencelines, etc. I have located a source for the heavy ag type sections, knives, knife heads, and guards for a 5' sickle mower that should handle brush up to about 1" diameter. I will have to build the cutterbar from cold rolled bar stock, but I don't think it will be too difficult. I think I can drive the knife with a pittman arm using an eccentric mounted on the shaft of a hydraulic motor that is rated for a substantial radial load and use my existing powerpack to power it.

Farmerford,

Once you build this side cutter, you'll be able to sell tickets to this crowd!

John

/ Mower on FEL #19  
flusher said:
But, IMHO, your setup is as dangerous as ****. The last thing I want is a brush hog spinning at 600 rpm hanging on an FEL at eye level with nothing between my face/chest and flying debris.

You've been lucky so far. At the very least I would recommend that you install an expanded metal screen between the hog and the driver's seat. Why risk an accident. I don't think that tilting the hog gives adequate protection.

I have one attached to the ROPS on my B7510HST that I install when I run my 4-ft KK hog on the 3pt.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I agree. We have a Power Trac PT425 with a 48" brush hog mounted on the FEL arms. (see the following videos).

The thing is a beast and does a great job. I rarely lift it more than a few inches off the ground. I have tossed a blade twice when hitting hidden rocks. The blade is several pounds on my little 48" hog and it flew about 20-30 feet before imbedding itself into the ground. I figure if I can't push it over and cut it at ground level, it shouldn't be cut with that tool. I'll get the saw and take it down safely.;)

http://www.mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT425DeepWeeds1.WMV
http://www.mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT425DeepWeeds2.WMV
http://www.mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT425FieldClearing.WMV
http://www.mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT425MultiFloraRose.WMV

/ Mower on FEL #20  
Farmerford,
Very nice job. You have discovered what all Power Trac owners already know...

Implements belong up front where you can see them! :D

Brush hogs up front on the FEL arms have a great advantage over brush hogs out back. First, you can see what you are doing. Second, the stuff is cut down before your tractor has to drive through it, saving your tires and anything that may be hanging under your tractor. :)