mower question

/ mower question #1  

ljgordon

Tractor
Ford 3000
I have a Kubota L4600 4WD with 46 HP. Will it handle an 8 foot bush hog mower?

/ mower question #2  
description of your mowing conditions would be useful

3ph or drag type? 3ph, no out of the question. 8' drag type? some will say yes, but personally would not invest in a mower of that cost for 40+ hp tractor. overkill on mower size. are you able to test that setup in heavy grass before buying?
my choice would be 6'. 7' is generally considered a bastard size.
a drag type finish mower might work but won't last long in rough conditions, plus your cut height will be limited

my 8' twin spindle 3ph mower (2000#) is well suited to my current tractor size. had a 6' 3ph HD mower that was well suited to my previous mx5000.
imho, good luck

Last edited:
   / mower question
description of your mowing conditions would be useful

3ph or drag type? 3ph, no out of the question. 8' drag type? some will say yes, but personally would not invest in a mower of that cost for 40+ hp tractor. overkill on mower size. are you able to test that setup in heavy grass before buying?
my choice would be 6'. 7' is generally considered a bastard size.
a drag type finish mower might work but won't last long in rough conditions, plus your cut height will be limited

my 8' twin spindle 3ph mower (2000#) is well suited to my current tractor size. had a 6' 3ph HD mower that was well suited to my previous mx5000.
imho, good luck
I already have a 6' drag mower I use on rolling hills and flat and about 3 acres of steep 4WD hills I can only do up & down. It takes about 15 hours to mow all 22 acres. I'm thinking with an 8' I could cut down the time on the rolling hills and flat and use the 6' on the hills. It is only grass I mow.

/ mower question #4  
Ljgordon: sounds like you have a pretty good system in place for your size tractor. assume the 8' mower you're looking at is twin spindle? what is your pto hp, 38-40? sure would be nice if you could somehow do a demo cut with the setup you're looking at before purchase. maybe someone with better experience on that size machine can give better advice.
also, how many times annually do you cut the 22 acres?

check the pto hp rating required by the 8' mower as well, finish mowers have lower ratings. maybe give some specs of the mower you're looking at. in terms of time savings with a larger mower, am sure you've figured that you're going to lose part of that time savings hooking up another mower to finish the job now that you will have 2. it might be worth calculating the actual time saved. just a thought
best regards

Last edited:
   / mower question #5  
Your engine is rated at 46 gross horsepower, that is true enough. Your PTO is rated at 37 - 38, depending on transmission. You may be able to handle an eight foot mower or you may not depending on grass height, cut height, and how fast you want to go. Of course weight of the mower itself must be considered as well. There's some good info here: TractorData.com Kubota L4600 tractor information

/ mower question #6  
I had an 8' Coroni FM for years that I loved. Came from Ag South. It was low maintenance, cut great and I pulled it with my JD 5310 using economy PTO. So your tractor would be perfect pulling one. It was just not big enough for me so I moved up to a Frontier 2120 FM. 20 footer. Still pulled it with my 5310 in EPTO before I got my 5090. I actually think you could go to a 12 foot or 15 foot batwing FM. One thing to keep in mind about a single deck wide mower is they are more prone to scalp if everything is not level. I had some of those issues. Not as bad with the 2120. Of course I cut my grass 1-1/2", 2" at the most.

/ mower question #7  
think just as important as whether the tractor will adequately handle an 8' pull mower, is how much time savings will that 8' make on the flat /rolling. the OP states 3 acres steep with 6'. that leaves 19 ac for the proposed 8'. maybe someone has a formula that will calculate time savings per increment of mower increase by foot, etc.
then deduct from the time savings the time involved in detaching & attaching the 2 mowers...i'd be looking at that time saved per mowing job compared to the cost of a 8' drag mower.

/ mower question
An acre is about 210 x 210.If I were to do just one acre I figured it this way. 6' into 210 takes 35 passes. 8' into 210 takes 26.25 passes. I usually run in 3rd gear turtle on the rolling and 4th on the flat.

/ mower question #9  
An acre is about 210 x 210.If I were to do just one acre I figured it this way. 6' into 210 takes 35 passes. 8' into 210 takes 26.25 passes. I usually run in 3rd gear turtle on the rolling and 4th on the flat.
sounds well thought out, & all the best in your decision. you might post a few mower choices you have in mind.