Mowing a church's lawn

/ Mowing a church's lawn #1  

Mal AC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Allis Charlmers 616, Simplicity 3410, Cub Cadet 1605, Allis Chalmers 310
I am 13 and love driving my lawn mowers and helping out my neighbors. I live down the street from a small chruch in Cottage and i thought about mowing their lawn, since it hasnt been mowed in awhile. I dont know if they hav anyone on the nowing list. I know i wouldn't get paid or anything so i dont know if i am, i would prolly start next spring if i want to do it. i guess i have the winter to think about. Comment and tell me what you think.

/ Mowing a church's lawn #2  
Talk to the pastor of the church and ask if they are interested in your services.

/ Mowing a church's lawn #3  
Just asking is how I got my first job in life. I showed up, asked for the man in charge and asked what I wanted to. Told him I could do a good job in his gas station and if he didn't like my work, he didn't have to pay me. He said "no" but I asked again and he relented. Ask and see what happens and don't get discouraged if it doesn't work out.

/ Mowing a church's lawn #4  
Also be sure to walk the lawn for rocks.

In addition to self satisfaction there's another good reason for mowing that church''s lawn - community service. Often on job applications and certainly on college applications, they ask about that.

/ Mowing a church's lawn #5  
Just my 2 cent !

Just make sure to get all your questions answered before accepting the job.
How often it should be cut ?
Will there be pay or reimbursement for consumables; gas, oil, blade sharpening ?
Also, ask about special instruction for cutting, you never know ?

Nothing worse than saying you quit mowing the Church's Lawn because there was no money in it.

Get it straight at the startup and then either walk away or do it.

/ Mowing a church's lawn #6  
It's a little late to start that project, but next spring if you decide to do it, leave yourself and out. "Okay I'll mow it next summer, we'll see how it goes after that."

/ Mowing a church's lawn #7  
That's very nice of you! I do not think its to late today it's 75 - 80 there and the is most likely still growing. I would take the advise given before and ask if there is any consideration for your consumables. I do not know if you also do snow removal but that not to far away. Community organizations need volunteers and people like you. :thumbsup:

/ Mowing a church's lawn
i'll ask the pastor sometime, right now its like 50 degrees in wny. Am i sopose to go to the chruch during service and just wait till after service to ask? I currenty don't go to chruch and haven't really been thinking on going but ill see what happens. If i do get the job im sure i would only hav to mow or shovel the side walk on saturdays since church is on Sunday. thanks for your guys advice, It really helps!

/ Mowing a church's lawn #9  
Good idea. And nice 616 pal! I love those tractors and they mow like a dream.

I'd sit through the service next Sunday, nice and polite and then ask the pastor afterword.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

/ Mowing a church's lawn #10  
You could go to Church but not necessary.
Do you see the Pastor on the street anywhere ?
If not call the Church, there must be a Secretary there sometime.
Ask the Secretary what the best time would be to talk to the Pastor.