Mowing mowing in high gear

/ mowing in high gear #11  
scruffy,

Used to have a great "farmer" neighbor down the road that owned about 60 acres. He had two old tractors with rotary cutters so I asked him if he had a chance, would he cut down my field and I'd pay him whatever he thought it was worth...he was a great guy that I trusted. Came home from work one day and he was back there cutting away, when he was done, he wouldn't take a dime...I did catch a smile on his face as he was cutting! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Lost a great neighbor when he and his wife divided up their acreage into 6 lots, auctioned it off and moved to Tennessee. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

So the field had been cut before, I had walked it, driven quad, snowmobile, bikes, tractor through it. Even had a previous neighbor that cut it and baled it to try to feed to his horses, they wouldn't eat it!

Anyway, I pretty much knew the field and full blast in low range is 3.87 mph on the TC18 hydro. I did slow down when I came to really thick stuff that I couldn't see through though! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ mowing in high gear #12  
The only limiting factor I find in mowing speed is how much I'm willing to bounce around and how clean the cut is. When mowing 3ft fields of hay/brush the cut gets a little sloppy if you go too fast since the balde can only cut so much and the faster you go the less time the grass is actually in contact with the blade. I can bog the engine down if mulching some really tall stuff and you try and go too fast but it's so obvious when you do that you just slow down a little! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ mowing in high gear #13  
I bought a B2400HSD from Carver in June and it is a mowing animal. I mow approximately 5.5 acres weekly and with the wet, cool summer we have had in Iowa the grass has grown like crazy. I have mowed 70 hours of grass this summer and about 95.5% has been with the transmission in the high speed range. I only change it to low for mowing when I am going straight up a severe hill. Most of my acreage is hilly but only one area requires the low range in the transmission. By the way, I use the 60 inch belly mower. This little thing is amazing. It just plain eats grass.