Mowing Mowing question with a BX

/ Mowing question with a BX #1  

chucko

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx1800
Yea mowing, I am in Fla and need to mow not move snow
The deck has adjustable casters in all four corners and the tractor has an adjustment for the cutting height.

So do I set the cutting height on the tractor then adjust the casters till they run on the ground all the time or do I adjust the casters so they are a little off the ground and only hit if that part of the deck rides over a high spot.

/ Mowing question with a BX #2  
The casters are anti skid, they DO NOT roll on the ground. The BX deck is suspended and the tractor carries the MMM and the rollers do not glide along the ground.
There are many posts here on folks burning up the casters.
The manual should have complete details and your dealer should have covered that topic.
I wish I was cuttin' grass. We got a couple inches of snow here last night..I don't like snow.

/ Mowing question with a BX
That is what I thought...."should have covered that topic" I don't get the tractor till about 3 today and want to be sure the first mowing looks good or the wife may kill me.

Maybe I sould down the neighbors yard first /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Mowing question with a BX #4  
Chucko,
Your Owners manual will cover most of the adjustments that You will need and it should be already set up when delivered .I had them set mine up for three inches mowing height before they delivered it .

You might want to consider this if You haven't.A Shop manual if You are handy with Your hands...it will save You some bucks doing Your own maintenance and repairs(after the warranty is gone)

These machines do a fantastic job of mowing!

/ Mowing question with a BX #5  
I found that adjusting the casters as the manual shows, for my 60" mower, on my BX2200, that they were too low for my use. Now my yard is not perfectly flat, and has some little humps and dips.

Others here also have reported that they also set the casters higher than the manual states.

How much higher? I don't remember for sure!!! But between 1/2 and 1 inch higher than the manual says, when I have my cutting height set for either 3 or 3.5 inches.

If I remember right, your property is pretty flat, so you may find that setting according to the manual will work for you. Try a couple settings and you will soon find out what works best for your needs. Like was said above, the deck is suspended, and the casters should not run on the ground all the time. The grass may turn them though, even when they are not pressing firmly on the ground...

Enjoy!

/ Mowing question with a BX #6  
At the rate Chucko is posting, he will be a Veteran member before he even gets his 1st tractor! I enjoy your posts, Chuck.

/ Mowing question with a BX #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( At the rate Chucko is posting, he will be a Veteran member before he even gets his 1st tractor! )</font>

He wouldn't be the first member on this site to do that.
But I will not mention any names !!
Golfgar 4
Golfgar 4
Golfgar 4 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Mowing question with a BX
Well I set my wheels a little high also

and as far as the post rate goes. I am at work so I need something to do /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif