Mowing Mowing Speed

/ Mowing Speed
I'm the one that started this whole Post about "mowing speed" and the main reason I did so was so that I could get some idea about what speed other folks mow at and then try to determine if I would be happy with the new model Kubota (GR-2100) that is coming out in a couple of months. It's top speed is only rated at 6.2 MPH and most tractors have a top speed of between 7.5 to 10 MPH. According to the Kubota rep that I emailed about this, he said it is because of the size of the "charge pump" in the transmission. He didn't say why they used such a small charge pump though.

I figure if I don't currently mow at a speed much faster than 6.2 than it wouldn't make much difference. But with the G2000 Kubota that I currently mow with, I think I sometimes can mow at 8 MPH or so.

It just ticks me off that Kubota would come out with a nice tractor (21-hp diesel, all-wheel-drive, good price) with such a low top speed.

Any other comments?

/ Mowing Speed #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm the one that started this whole Post about "mowing speed" and the main reason I did so was so that I could get some idea about what speed other folks mow at and then try to determine if I would be happy with the new model Kubota (GR-2100) that is coming out in a couple of months. It's top speed is only rated at 6.2 MPH and most tractors have a top speed of between 7.5 to 10 MPH. According to the Kubota rep that I emailed about this, he said it is because of the size of the "charge pump" in the transmission. He didn't say why they used such a small charge pump though.

I figure if I don't currently mow at a speed much faster than 6.2 than it wouldn't make much difference. But with the G2000 Kubota that I currently mow with, I think I sometimes can mow at 8 MPH or so.

It just ticks me off that Kubota would come out with a nice tractor (21-hp diesel, all-wheel-drive, good price) with such a low top speed.

Any other comments? )</font>

It takes really smoth land to mow very fast other wise it will shake the S out of U if you go very fast.

If you can't stay on the seat at 3 MPH why have a tractor that will do 9 MPH?

/ Mowing Speed #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It takes really smoth land to mow very fast other wise it will shake the S out of U if you go very fast.

If you can't stay on the seat at 3 MPH why have a tractor that will do 9 MPH? )</font>

You said that right! I mow as fast as I can stand it. Our yards in this part of Colorado are lumpy from frost, uneven grass growing, crabgrass, unfilled sprinkler trenches, etc. My mower will do 8mph but I think I mow in the 5mph range. When I mow the big smooth field at our church it is full speed and I still wish I had 4mph more!

/ Mowing Speed #24  
Ditto the other posters. The top speed of my 2210 is supposed to be 8.5 mph, but even in the best areas of my lawn I'll bet I go no faster than 4 or 5 mph. It's not that the tractor won't pull it, it's just that I'm not interested in having to take Advil before mowing! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mowing Speed #25  
I think you are experiencing the small wheel base multiplying the uneven features in your terain. If I had to mow at 4 mph.. I'd sell my pasture... Heck even now, I wish I could mow higher than 10mph, or that I had a 12' or 15' mower.. etc.

Soundguy