Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower

/ Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower #41  
As contractors we switched our Tractors over from batwings/rotary cutters to (Cosmo) flails about 15yrs ago - a Flail fitted Y blades will leave a superior grass finish (same with hammers on brush ) & satisfied customers to a rotary cutter.
We also run ZTs for smaller & detail areas but largely tractor mounted flails have displaced these as the customers are more happy with the economy/finish of flails - though we do keep super HD Bush Hogs to knock down dense bush.
Must admit I'd be rethinking using Ag tires as the slightest ground moisture may likely leave tire witness marks & create customer angst - R14s, industrial or only if require in wet areas high flotation tires - whatever you go with ensure you have PTO safety clutches rather than sacrificial shear pins unless you enjoy downtiem & changing out pins in the field....

/ Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower #42  
I personally would not run that large a tractor with a 7' finish mower on multiple properties totalling 16 acres. I know money is an issue, but a large zero turn would be my choice... 72".

Again with the money consideration.... Were I to use the big tractor I would at least want turf tires and a 12-15' batwing mower to maximize its capabilities, but a VERY expensive proposition.

I mow 30 acres per week across 18 rural properties with a 72" zero turn. I can mow 4 acres per hour on open land, and average 2 acres per hour across all of the properties that I mow.
For purposes of comparison/ discussion/ similarity, I use an L6060 with turf tires & 7’ Woodmax flail to mow both high and low grass fields - mostly in July. Outstanding set up for me and depending on obstacles I can average 3.5-4.0 mph. Takes me 3.5 hours to mow 12 acres of high grasses in one location and 8 hours to mow 32 acres of high grasses elsewhere.

I started with an L4060 with R4 tires. This was a decent setup but I figured the higher hp and less damaging tires would offer me a wider sweeter spot for multiple attachments so I went for it. It’s been going pretty well so no regrets despite higher machine cost.

/ Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower #43  
For purposes of comparison/ discussion/ similarity, I use an L6060 with turf tires & 7’ Woodmax flail to mow both high and low grass fields - mostly in July. Outstanding set up for me and depending on obstacles I can average 3.5-4.0 mph. Takes me 3.5 hours to mow 12 acres of high grasses in one location and 8 hours to mow 32 acres of high grasses elsewhere.

I started with an L4060 with R4 tires. This was a decent setup but I figured the higher hp and less damaging tires would offer me a wider sweeter spot for multiple attachments so I went for it. It’s been going pretty well so no regrets despite higher machine cost.
What cut height are you using and what type blades?

/ Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower #44  

That's a nice setup. I have an L4060, and like it. It's mostly for loader work around the property and snow plowing duty. I do have a 7 foot rear discharge finish mower but it tends to clump when my field gets even a little high (maintained like a yard).
I am also curious about the blade type on your flail. I will eventually be getting a 60" ditch bank flail and go back and forth on whether to get hammers or knives.

/ Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower #45  
What cut height are you using and what type blades?
I set up around 3” for high grass & I use the y blades for mowing. Top & tilt makes height adjustments easy on the fly.

/ Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower #46  
That's a nice setup. I have an L4060, and like it. It's mostly for loader work around the property and snow plowing duty. I do have a 7 foot rear discharge finish mower but it tends to clump when my field gets even a little high (maintained like a yard).
I am also curious about the blade type on your flail. I will eventually be getting a 60" ditch bank flail and go back and forth on whether to get hammers or knives.
I use the y blades with grass. It’s got three pieces and reversible : right, left and straight center. Has no problem going through first or second year saplings.

The hammers are good up to 3 - 4” but not super efficient out here with scrub oak so gnarly and nasty to drive over. Hard to price clearing when the chainsaws have to come out - but that’s another discussion.

Last edited:
   / Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower #47  
I would go with a batwing or big mower.
Something like this perhaps:
00606_5IagMAmIBwK_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Aaron Z

/ Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower #48  
Get a bunch of goats.

/ Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower #49  
I use either a 90" rm990 woods 3pt mower or a 15' woods flexwing behind an l6060. The 15' is nice because it lets you slow down and not get as beat up on bumps but it gets pretty inefficient if you have to work around obstacles and takes a big trailer to transport and requires lots of maintenance. The 90" is a great all around easy transport, low maintenance, easy to use, super durable unit. Even being a model from the 90's that I found on craigslist for 1000 bucks 7 years ago its been reliable and easy to work on.

The thing Id be worried about is turf damage and ruts. the fields I mow are industrial building sites and park fields where it doesnt matter. even with a much lighter tractor and turf tires all around I can still peel up some grass if im not careful.
IMG_20210421_191608_443.jpg

/ Mowing with 100hp and 3-pt Finish Mower #50  
100hp I would be looking for a folding multi deck finish mower 10+ ft wide if I had the money. I run an 84in on a 48hp gear machine and it probably could pull up to 96 depending on conditions. I mow a pasture to a yard finish and have to run about 4-5mph ground speed

I keep the tire pressure low to help with the ride but really should take my loader off when mowing