Mowing Mowing with 4010: rear finish or belly mower?

/ Mowing with 4010: rear finish or belly mower? #1  

RickS

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3032e
I have 3 acres planted in bermuda and will need to mow it when it gets tall enough. I purchased a RFM (rear finish mower) from TSC not long ago, but I'm thinking about returning it and getting a belly/MM mower. The land is flat with about 25 trees, some of them just 20 ft apart. Would a MMM be easier to live with mowing once a week or so? What MMM would I get for the 4010 and about what would it cost from my JD dealer? I'm guessing it would be a 54" model. I haven't priced them but I'm strongly considering it.

/ Mowing with 4010: rear finish or belly mower? #2  
You may find the price of adding a MMM a bit high...at least 3 to 4 times the price of a budget RFM. Hopefully, your tractor dealer may have a used one available. I don't think you'll find an after market MMM for your tractor, so this leaves the Deere dealer.

I'd also go for a 60 inch unit, if available. 72" would be nicer yet, but that's probably too much for your machine.

I am assuming your tractor has a Mid PTO. If it doesn't, you'll have to add that (assuming it can be installed by the dealer).

That said, a MMM would probably be easier to use. I use a RFM, but I've no problem working with that. But I must admit, a MMM would be a bit more convenient if your property is flat and those trees are that close together. I'm also assuming the branches are high enough to clear the tractor ROPS.

/ Mowing with 4010: rear finish or belly mower? #3  
A new 54" MMM will run you $1700 - $2200 and the 60" MMM will run you $2600 - $3100 depending on what options you get with it like the mulching kit or lift assist kits.

I've used both MMM and RFM and now stick with a 48" RFM because it's easier for me to take off with my handicaps. I have over 50 mature trees (mostly pine) on my 1.44 acres.

My wife just does a little touch up with a craftsman self propeled mower in the areas I can't get at which really isn't much more than the areas I couldn't do with the 430 garden tractor I had with a 60" MMM.

Once you get used to how the RFM swings and follows behind the tractor it's pretty easy to handle.

/ Mowing with 4010: rear finish or belly mower?
Thanks for the replies. My 4010 does have a mid PTO as standard, so that is no problem. My ROPS folds, and the trees are not big yet, so that is also ok.

I stopped at my local JD dealer this afternoon and got two quotes:
54" MMM for $1728 installed
60" MMM for $2448 installed

Needless to say the 54" MMM looks like a better deal. They also expressed interest in my KK tiller, so I may be able to swing a good deal. I'll probably go with this and return my RFM, which I have not used yet. I don't think I'll need ground clearance too often on my place (pretty flat) and the 4010 is already pretty high.

/ Mowing with 4010: rear finish or belly mower? #5  
Before I traded up to the 4110, I had a 4010. It had the 54" mower and it worked great. The MMM will reduce the touch-up work that your wife has to do. The MMM will allow you to get closer to the trees than the RFM. I traded up to the 4110 due to issues with the Rock shaft controlls. I stayed with a 54" MMM on the 4110. My wife test drove the 4110 with both a 54", 60" and the 72" MMM's. She felt more confortable with the 54" It sticks out past the tires less than any of the others.

The MMM is just as quick to remove as the RFM. I can have the whole mower deck and lift pieces, out in under 5 minutes.

It is a great little system that I highly recommend.

/ Mowing with 4010: rear finish or belly mower?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It is a great little system that I highly recommend.)</font>

Thanks, Chopprjok. Good testimonial you have there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif