Mowing mowing with the bucket on/off

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #61  
I have a CC 5264D & Sitrex 48" finishing deck.

I'm very confident mowing my slightly sloped backyard side-hill with front weights only.

If the FEL is on.... straight up & down or not at all. lol

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #62  
Are folks taking the entire FEL off -- or just the bucket?

I have a JD4100 w/ 60" 3 point finish mower. I have been mowing for 5 years with the FEL on. Recently a bearing in the MFWD went out. I'm wondering if the extra load is partly the cause. I'm thinking to try mowing without the bucket/FEL. Also, I have to be in 4WD nearly all the time to get enough traction, so much so, that generally I just run in 4WD all the time. Maybe the bucket/FEL off would help.

I like the idea of having the bucket ON when mowing in uncharted territory, but most of the time I'm mowing areas I've mowed before. My other implements are a box blade, a middle buster, and a 60" tiller. The tiller might pose a balance problem, but maybe I can take the FEL off for late spring into early fall when I'm mostly just mowing.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #63  
On smaller SCUT they do not have the quick tach bucket the whole FEL is removed. On larger tractors with quick tach you can remove the bucket easier.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #64  
My bucket comes off fairly easily it appears. Tip it back, remove two latch pins, lower and pull away. The entire FEL is a bit tricky to put back on -- easy to take off, but if the ground is not level, putting on requires some manual help to line things up.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #65  
My bucket comes off fairly easily it appears. Tip it back, remove two latch pins, lower and pull away. The entire FEL is a bit tricky to put back on -- easy to take off, but if the ground is not level, putting on requires some manual help to line things up.

I took the bucket off for a bit this eve. Noticeably better traction when in 2WD. Generally I have to be in 4WD when using the finish mower, or it slips on just about any incline. The next full mow, and I'll have a better idea. I'd imagine with the lift arms off, traction would improve another time or so.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #66  
I take the FEL completely off for mowing (use 5' 3 pt finish mower on my 2520). With the FEL on, the front tires leave marks on the lawn if soil isn't completely dry & I have also had the front wheels sink into the soil when doing meadows (had to reverse in 4WD to get out). Not really an issue with the FEL off & I don't have any inclines steep enough to cause any issues. It's also easier to get closer to trees when doing the meadow/trails with the FEL off.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #67  
Take it off. I have a BX2230, so close to the same size. Any FEL you have mounted on any tractor will put the weight of the FEL out in front of your tippy front axle. Not only did you add weight to that axle, you transferred almost the same amount of weight from the stable rear wheels to the front wheels. Having it an inch off the ground still transfers the weight. The COG is only one aspect. The COG with respect to a rocking front axle is also important. You can (and should) ballast your tractor to counter this, but it's just a lot easier to remove the FEL. The FEL makes a dandy emergency brake if you are going down a hill and lose traction. But if you didn't have it on, you probably wouldn't have lost traction anyway.

From my personal experience, I drove my BX down on my hillside set to do loader work. That means the FEL on the front, 50 lbs of weight on each rear wheel hub, and a 275lb bar on the 3ph. I had the FEL and weight bar both about 2 inches off the ground. My tires are also loaded, but no spacers. I parked it in a place where I felt it was sort of tippy which turned out to be between 20 and 25 degrees. I got off and pushed on the uphill side rollbar with one hand and fairly easily lifted the rear wheel off the ground. I then drove to the garage and removed the FEL, weight bar, and wheel weights. I drove down and parked in the exact same place. I could NOT lift the wheel off the ground. And that's why I will never again mow with my FEL on.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet
That is the kind of data I like... thanks Ray.

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #68  
That convinces me too! Along with making scientific sense!

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #69  
OK, I'll plan to take the entire FEL off. Taking off is a couple mins -- putting on can be a bit longer.

So for mowing (3 pt), I'm planning to run FEL-free
What about box blading?
Or tilling?
I'm also thinking to get a 5' rear blade for road grading and snow removal. Thoughts?

/ mowing with the bucket on/off #70  
OK, I'll plan to take the entire FEL off. Taking off is a couple mins -- putting on can be a bit longer.

So for mowing (3 pt), I'm planning to run FEL-free
What about box blading?
Or tilling?
I'm also thinking to get a 5' rear blade for road grading and snow removal. Thoughts?

In those instances, you would probably want it on to balance out the weight that is on the rear end. At least that's what I have been led to believe.