MT1601D clutch

/ MT1601D clutch #1  

tucktractor

hi everybody I just bought a used mitsubishi MT1601D tractor and now i seem to be having problems with the clutch. basically it makes a horrible grinding sound when I put the tractor in any gear (and yes the clutch is fully depressed). It is possible to force it into whatever gear I want but when I engage the PTO to use the mower it often will kill the engine. I have found that if I put the tractor in gear, start the PTO on the first setting, and then shift the PTO into its full operational setting i can avoid killing the engine and the whole thing works. I checked all the hydro/gear/oil fluids and they are full. Long story short - do i need a new clutch?

/ MT1601D clutch
hi everybody I just bought a used mitsubishi MT1601D tractor and now i seem to be having problems with the clutch. basically it makes a horrible grinding sound when I put the tractor in any gear (and yes the clutch is fully depressed). It is possible to force it into whatever gear I want but when I engage the PTO to use the mower it often will kill the engine. I have found that if I put the tractor in gear, start the PTO on the first setting, and then shift the PTO into its full operational setting i can avoid killing the engine and the whole thing works. I checked all the hydro/gear/oil fluids and they are full. Long story short - do i need a new clutch?

/ MT1601D clutch #3  
Your clutch disk is probably stock to the flywheel . Moisture has helped the clutch disk rust to the fly wheel. To prevent this condition, block the clutch pedal down when the tractor is not in use for an extended period. To loosen, try running the tractor with a pto attachment running & the clutch depressed. It works good if you have a big field to mow. Another way is to run it in high gear & hit the brakes hard. Be careful to brake evenly or the tractor can turn sharply.
You should operate the pto in the lowest gear.

/ MT1601D clutch #4  
Your clutch disk is probably stock to the flywheel . Moisture has helped the clutch disk rust to the fly wheel. To prevent this condition, block the clutch pedal down when the tractor is not in use for an extended period. To loosen, try running the tractor with a pto attachment running & the clutch depressed. It works good if you have a big field to mow. Another way is to run it in high gear & hit the brakes hard. Be careful to brake evenly or the tractor can turn sharply.
You should operate the pto in the lowest gear.

/ MT1601D clutch
so i put a new clutch in after the original thread and it worked until about the end of the summer and now i have to grind the clutch to get it into gear. what could be causing the clutch to do this?

/ MT1601D clutch #6  
It is out of adjustment.
Oh the clutch can't grind...the gears do:)

/ MT1601D clutch #7  
What Len said, even with a new clutch. Your tractor may have a latch at the pedal that can keep the pedal down when not in use. That will keep the clutch from sticking to the flywheel. If not use some other means to keep the pedal down. Hope you can get it unstuck.

/ MT1601D clutch #8  
Iv'e got a MT2201FD and it needs a clutch also. Did you put the clutch in or did you have it done? I've never split a tractor and was wondering how hard/dangerous it is?

/ MT1601D clutch #10  
I found splitting a tractor (at least the smaller ones that are around 15 hp) is fairly straight-forward. I think all I had to do was disconnect the hydraulic lines to the pump from the transmission and take out the clutch housing bolts. The two halves should separate fairly easily if the clutch is not siezed to the spline of the transmission like one tractor I had. That one was a bit more difficult and because it was my first it was very frustrating. Yes, you do need to be careful on how you support the "free end" of both halves, but on the smaller tractors you can treat the transmission sort of like a wheel-barrow once it's apart and it's not that hard to maneuver. Keep the transmission end propped-up because if you set it on the ground it has a tendency to drain the oil out of the reservoir through the hydraulic lines. I found that out the hard way when I was using a floor jack to hold up one end overnight and the next day it bled down causing the oil to drain out the lines onto the floor. I didn't see that one coming...