MT160D Hydraulic Oil Change

/ MT160D Hydraulic Oil Change #1  

jonfinpa

Tractor
Mitsubishi MT160D
This information for the MT160D is not found in any of the 3 different repair manuals that I have. I think the 180D is the same and some of the grey market tractors.
1. The fill level check is a bolt on the left side of the tractor just behind the PTO control handle about half way down the chassis
2. The filter is just a screen which is located behind a round plate on the right side of the tractor just in front of the rear tire.
3. The fill hole is just a rubber plug located on top of the transmission to the right of the second gear position. It doesn't look like a rubber plug, but it is and just a little smaller then the size of a quarter.
4. The drains are located in the differential housing, there is one on each side just about inline with the axle towards the center of the tractor. The tractor uses the differential housing as the hydraulic reservoir tank and the same oil lubricates the differential and transmission.
5. You should use W46 tractor hydraulic oil, the key word here is OIL not fluid. Pay very close attention to the type of oil especially if you have a loader or hydraulic implements using the tractor hydraulics.

Be very careful cleaning the screen, use kerosene or a mild soap, ( not compressed air ) damaging the screen will set you back 65.00

Pull out the fill plug and refill the case until fluid comes out of the level check hole described above in number 1, a little under 3 gallons.

Good Luck and I hope you didn't have to spend 3 days to find these simple answers.

Last edited:
   / MT160D Hydraulic Oil Change #2  
hi there! can anyone tell me where I can find these repair manuals

/ MT160D Hydraulic Oil Change #3  
Thanks for the info. I have a M180D.

/ MT160D Hydraulic Oil Change #5  
   / MT160D Hydraulic Oil Change #6  
much obliged Capricious...

/ MT160D Hydraulic Oil Change #7  
Thanks for the manuals, awesome.

/ MT160D Hydraulic Oil Change #8  
I Was informed by a good mechanic that you need to make sure if you had used the wrong type like a fluid I have been using, (been using a cheap univer. fluid) You need to make sure you get all that old fluid out, That junk I used would plug my screen filter after a short time of use. You can achieve most of that by opening your drain or filter access and allow it to drain for long period, and if you have a loader drain those lines and the pump to. Anybody else who might like to elaborate on this topic please do.

/ MT160D Hydraulic Oil Change #9  
5. You should use W46 tractor hydraulic oil
I think the OP meant AW46, which is ISO 46 hydraulic oil with antiwear properties. This is roughly equivalent of SAE 15W or 20 (for motor oil) and SAE 75W for gear oil. While that isn't out of the question for many of these Mitsubishi/Satoh tractors needing to flow a lot of hydraulics (especially in winter), I know my tractor came with an SAE 80 sticker on it. SAE 80 is more like ISO 68 and reasonably close to SAE 20 motor oil. In this viscosity range, many late-model tractor hydraulic fluids will meet this viscosity range. Don't use a "303" fluid, but most of the newer "Hy-Gard" / "HyTran" / Quatrol / J20 C style fluids are near this range but aren't straight non-detergent hydraulic fluids like AW46. I think tractor fluids are going to work better than the mineral oil hydraulic fluids. Why? because they need to operate the gears, too, not just pumps and pistons.

Furthermore, I found a tractor fluid that mentions Mitsubishi in its specs and 5 gallons cost $40.

To get the viscosity right, look at the spec sheets. The one I picked says it's 57 cSt at 40C. You are trying to use a (thinner) 46 cSt oil. I wonder what the original spec was for the MT series?