MT180D 4wd shifter problem

/ MT180D 4wd shifter problem #1  

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
I always travel in 2WD and shift to 4WD when blowing or pushing snow.

As I finished up a drive, I reached down to disengage the 4WD lever and it simply flopped back and forth.

My take is the roll pin that the shifter lever engages to shift the 4wd fork in/out has snapped off! (little 6 x 22 mm roll/spring pin)

Can't be anything else, unless the fork end that drives the pin broke off of the lever/shaft.

Well the question is: What are my chances of replacing that pin using the shifter hole as access to drive out the piece from the shaft?
Hole is about 1" diam.

Insertion of a new pin, I figure is easily done by making a mandrel to hold the new pin and tapping it into the hole in the shaft.

Location of that shifter is sure bad when you wear size 12's, but then I am so used to it that it has been years since I have caught on it.

I sure don't want to split the tractor for a .50 cent part!

/ MT180D 4wd shifter problem #2  
Piloon,
Same thing happened on my Buck. I think I remember that the roll pin goes in the shifter and it comes out when you take two bolts out. About a 5 minute fix.

/ MT180D 4wd shifter problem
Well I pulled the shifter assy out and sure enough the roll pin is gone bye-bye.
Guess it just worked itself loose and fell out.
The pin is pressed into the shifter shaft and problem is the access pannel does not allow proper alignment as the shaft is below the cutout hole and I'd be driving/pressing the roll pin at an angle and I can see me dropping the pin a few times.
For now my thoughts are to simply drill a 1.2" hole in alignment with the pin location so that I can press the pin in with a straight push.

Problem is that roll pins , by nature, are bigger than the hole and side forces will simply want to 'pop them out'.

If water pump pliers could fit in there the job would be easy.
What I need is a 'mini C-clamp like device' to add pressure all while being offset by about 3/4".
No matter what, I can see me dropping that pin more than a time or two before it is pressed into place.

More to follow!

/ MT180D 4wd shifter problem #4  
It's probably been 13 years since I did mine. Might try to give it a look see to jog my memory on what I did to get the pin in there.

/ MT180D 4wd shifter problem
OK, got er fixed up!

As earlier mentioned, the hole for the roll pin, in the shaft, is below the opening created by the vacated lever assy.

After trying with bent nose needle pliers and pry/pushing every which way I gave up and simply drilled a 5/15 hole below the access opening and aligned with the hole in the shifter rod.

Used a #2 long robertson driver blade as punch (the square end just neatly fit the inside of the roll pin) and was able to guide the roll pin into position and simply tapped the pin into its home.
Not wanting to need to fish the pin out I wrapped a length of tape to serve as a retreval line but did not need it.

That drilled hole should have no negative effects as that tunnel section is dry of fluids and merely connects the transmission to bell housing.(and serves as a support for the steering box)

Guess alls well that ends well, main problem is that I had to work outside in -10 deg celcius! (and suffer from Renaud's syndrome)

/ MT180D 4wd shifter problem #6  
Glad you got it fixed.