MT342SH Reduced Power in reverse

/ MT342SH Reduced Power in reverse #1  

Bigfootconcepts

Tractor
White 2-65, LS MT342HC
I have an LS MT342SH with Cab and have noticed reduced power when driving in reverse. I wonder if this is normal or an indicator of a problem. I run the engine at 2000rpm and am in 4-wheel drive when working it. Recently, I was removing snow on my steep paved lane (10 degrees at steepest point) with the bucket. After going down hill plowing, I put it into reverse in 3rd gear to get to the top quicker. At the steepest part of the hill it just slowed to a stop. Thought the wheels had lost traction at first, so I lowered it into 2 gear and up it went. Thought it a bit weird because it didn't really feel like spinning tires so a few days later after all the snow had melted I did this test.

I ran the MT342SH up the lane in reverse at 2000rpm in all 3 gears. Gears 1 & 2 were successful but it slowed to a stop in 3rd gear. It tried it again at 2600rpm with the same results. I then turned the unit around and climbed the hill in forward in all 3 gears. All gears were successful. When in 3rd gear it slowed slightly as it crossed the steepest part of the hill but regained speed once past that point. I have talked to my service manager at the local LS dealership and he says this is normal.

To me that means I have less power going in reverse than I do forward. Meaning operating a rear facing snowblower or another attachment is going to have reduced power. Has anyone else experienced this and is it something that needs to be serviced?

/ MT342SH Reduced Power in reverse #2  
I believe it’s normal if your tractor has hydrostatic drive, sounds very similar to the way mine works.

/ MT342SH Reduced Power in reverse #3  
Many if not all LS tractors restrict petal travel in reverse. If you look you might find a stop tab under the reverse linkage restricting travel to about 80% compared to the forward pedal. Some have taken to modifying that stop to allow more movement.

/ MT342SH Reduced Power in reverse #5  
Normal operation. 3rd range is actually a very high range to be doing any sort of actual work with. I get it you were trying to get there faster but you would be better to run 2 range and higher rpm when doing work. I usually only use 3rd range when I’m roading it.

/ MT342SH Reduced Power in reverse
Normal operation. 3rd range is actually a very high range to be doing any sort of actual work with. I get it you were trying to get there faster but you would be better to run 2 range and higher rpm when doing work. I usually only use 3rd range when I’m roading it.
That's usually how I operate too. But I was just curious after doing my test that I could get up the hill going forward in 3rd but not in reverse. To me this means less power in reverse than forward. I am of course assuming that the gear ratios are the same fwd vs rev too. Maybe they aren't. If not the same that would explain it. But if not they why the power drop? Is there an adjustment in the HST unit?

/ MT342SH Reduced Power in reverse #7  
as @Eagle1 said, look at your pedals, mine have limit bars welded to them, and the reverse limit is physically welded not to travel as far.

Edit:
The 2 bars where my fingers are strike the stops below them. Those bars are at different heights, and control how far the pedals move, the reverse pedal moves less.

1708731871541.png

/ MT342SH Reduced Power in reverse #8  
That's usually how I operate too. But I was just curious after doing my test that I could get up the hill going forward in 3rd but not in reverse. To me this means less power in reverse than forward. I am of course assuming that the gear ratios are the same fwd vs rev too. Maybe they aren't. If not the same that would explain it. But if not they why the power drop? Is there an adjustment in the HST unit?

I would say this is safety issue. So the operator doesn’t go too fast in reverse and lose control. Many ATVs use a reverse limiter.

/ MT342SH Reduced Power in reverse
as @Eagle1 said, look at your pedals, mine have limit bars welded to them, and the reverse limit is physically welded not to travel as far.

Edit:
The 2 bars where my fingers are strike the stops below them. Those bars are at different heights, and control how far the pedals move, the reverse pedal moves less.

View attachment 853952

The MT3 S-HST model is slightly different than the pedals you showed. However there are stops cut into the reverse pedal arm. As you press on the forward pedal the reverse pedal rises and when pressing on the reverse the forward pedal rises. The reverse arm has a notch which determines how far you can go in either direction. There are adjustments that can be made to those stops via threaded control arms further in on the hinging mechanism.
MT342H pedals.jpg

/ MT342SH Reduced Power in reverse #10  
3rd is road gear. My 357HC has no power in 3rd.. it's not designed to. Of the 4 tractors that I have owned (all different brands), none of them had any power in 3rd (or high). That is for running on nearly flat pavement. 1st and 2nd for doing work (or low and medium). Pedal travel won't matter, the gear is too high. As far as speed, I believe all of my HST tractors were a slight bit faster in forward than reverse. Not sure if this answers your question or not