Muffler Replacement - 65HP John Deere Engine

/ Muffler Replacement - 65HP John Deere Engine #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
I have a large wood chipper with an old 4" round x 16" long straight muffler that is extremely loud when running at operating RPM's. The muffler is likely worn/rusted out and I was wondering if anyone would have a recommendation for a quieter replacement. I can buy basically the same muffler at TSC but should I look at a larger replacement or maybe change from a vertical mount to a horizontal mount with two 90-degree bends?

/ Muffler Replacement - 65HP John Deere Engine #2  
Cheap: Buy ear muffs.
Easy: Replace like-for-like. Bolt-on and go.
Harder: Muffler from a Pick-up truck at the wreckers yard?
Difficult-ish: re-route to horizontal etc. Why bother...

How often do you use this chipper? Why make work for yourself on a minimal use machine? Bolt on a new muffler and run it.
One of the "aluminized" versions will have some corrosion resistance and may last longer.

KISS. Keep it simple...

:2cents:

/ Muffler Replacement - 65HP John Deere Engine
Cheap: Buy ear muffs.
Easy: Replace like-for-like. Bolt-on and go.
Harder: Muffler from a Pick-up truck at the wreckers yard?
Difficult-ish: re-route to horizontal etc. Why bother...

How often do you use this chipper? Why make work for yourself on a minimal use machine? Bolt on a new muffler and run it.
One of the "aluminized" versions will have some corrosion resistance and may last longer.

KISS. Keep it simple...

:2cents:

I bought the chipper as a learning project so the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality does not meet my goal. So far I have replaced the engine and reworked the electrical and hydraulics. The process has taught me allot about diesels and fluid-flow, but I still have some more work to do and I live in a subdivision so just trying to be a good neighbor and also curious what exhaust setups work best. Once I get it working good I have allot of small trees and branches I want grind up on our 8-acres where we will hopefully be moving one day.

/ Muffler Replacement - 65HP John Deere Engine #4  
I bought the chipper as a learning project so the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality does not meet my goal. So far I have replaced the engine and reworked the electrical and hydraulics. The process has taught me allot about diesels and fluid-flow, but I still have some more work to do and I live in a subdivision so just trying to be a good neighbor and also curious what exhaust setups work best. Once I get it working good I have allot of small trees and branches I want grind up on our 8-acres where we will hopefully be moving one day.

A whole lot more information than outlined in your OP.

/ Muffler Replacement - 65HP John Deere Engine #5  
Thanks for being a good neighbor.

A 4" diameter muffler is probably a glass pack type with sound absorbing material packed around a perforated core. The sound absorbing material tends to get clogged with oil or blow out over time, reducing effectiveness. And they're not that effective at sound reduction anyhow.

I'd go with a larger muffler that has internal baffles. Those can reduce sound better and won't degrade over time. But it depends on the space available. There's lots of generic mufflers available from places like summit racing. Ideally you'd want one that is designed to reduce sound from an engine running at roughly the rpms yours operates at. The placement and size of baffles, chambers, holes etc. often depends on the rpm that the designer wants to reduce sound at.

A heavier muffler may need extra support.

Last edited: