Mulch around trees, yes or no?

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
Do you mulch around trees? Does it help the tree thrive? Same with bushes, do you mulch around them. I know I see lots of mulch beds around everywhere but just wondering what the benefits are besides making it look nice?

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #2  
Do you mulch around trees? Does it help the tree thrive? Same with bushes, do you mulch around them. I know I see lots of mulch beds around everywhere but just wondering what the benefits are besides making it look nice?

Looks nice, but then you get lassoed into doing it every year, which becomes quite a hassle.

My next house would have farmland right up to the front door if I had my way :ROFLMAO: , but my wife likes manicured landscaping.

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no?
I have one spot in my front yard section around 2 oak trees and some cover plants I have out in that is not looking great, yet. I have cleaned it up but am thinking about putting some mulch around it until the cover plants and bushes I planted grow up some more.

Also, thinking about using pine needles since I have 12 acres of pine trees.

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #4  
No. I think it looks good, I don’t really see it help the tree though. I don’t do it because it’s too much work.

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #5  
Yes, there is multiple benefit to place mulch around a tree... such as moisture retention, weed suppression, temperature Regulation and soil improvement as it break down it fertilize the soil... but do not place the mulch directly against the trunk of the tree, that can eventually kill a tree and also watch for the acidity requirement for that specific tree and the acidity of the mulch you don't want to throw it out of balance.

Last edited:
   / Mulch around trees, yes or no? #6  
I get free woods chips from my tree guy and use them around my fruit trees. The trees are 3 year old bare root apple, peach and plum trees. They seemed to be struggling until I started adding the wood chips around them. This year they seem better than ever. I keep the chips a few inches away from tree trunks.
20230610_141138.jpg

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #7  
We mulch our trees once a year. It keeps the weeds down and keeps the soil moisture in. It only takes about 10 minutes to dig out the little trench around the circle to keep the grass from infiltrating, and spread the mulch.

I found that no matter how careful I am, weed eating near a tree, or mowing near a tree, I eventually knick the bark. Mulching not only prevents that, I can easily drive the mower around the circle VS having to drive in and out a few times to get the mower near a non-mulched tree.

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #8  
Yes to mulch, I use shredded cedar. Avoid the mulch volcano, too much and too high is not good for the trees. The cedar smells nice and doesn't support/attract ants.

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #9  
I've been planting trees for almost 20 years. The primary reason newly planted trees die is too much or too little moisture. The most effective way to regulate that is with mulch. Its a good idea not to pile it directly against the trunk though as this can cause rot, disease, or other infestation.

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #10  
I've been planting trees for almost 20 years. The primary reason newly planted trees die is too much or too little moisture. The most effective way to regulate that is with mulch. Its a good idea not to pile it directly against the trunk though as this can cause rot, disease, or other infestation.
Do you have recommendation as what type of mulch to avoid with certain tree ? or it doesn't really make a difference ?