Mulch around trees, yes or no?

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #11  
Before wife had me pull the bushes I used to mulch with a weed blocking fabric underneath. Saved a lot of weed whacking and herbicide. When I tried mulching w/o the fabric it took a lot more mulch to block the weeds, but by the end of the summer they still came through.

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #12  
Do you have recommendation as what type of mulch to avoid with certain tree ? or it doesn't really make a difference ?
No, I haven't personally heard of any compatibility problems but I only use what is supplied in bulk specifically for landscape use. I suppose its possible to have problems if you're using what a tree service grinds up if the trees were carrying pests, disease or toxins but I think the risk would be pretty low and I don't know of anything specifically to look out for. Cedar is toxic to lots of things so I wouldn't use it in areas where animals would be exposed to it at length.

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #13  
Before wife had me pull the bushes I used to mulch with a weed blocking fabric underneath. Saved a lot of weed whacking and herbicide. When I tried mulching w/o the fabric it took a lot more mulch to block the weeds, but by the end of the summer they still came through.
A few years ago I switched to cardboard under the mulch, it seems to work as good if not better than landscape cloth. And it's free and reduces my recycling pile......

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #14  
Last year I planted 4 spruce trees that were each in 1 gallon pots.
I put a 24" recycled rubber tree ring around each one and a bushel or so of homemade wood chips around the tree ring. When they get a little bigger I'll remove the rings.

I also put a chicken-wire fence around each of the trees to keep the small wildlife away and a large tomato cage around it to keep the deer away.

Looking good so far.

I also planted an 8' tall oak as a memorial tree several years ago and mulched it in a 6' radius. It's about 15' tall now and all the fencing was removed.

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #15  
A few years ago I switched to cardboard under the mulch, it seems to work as good if not better than landscape cloth. And it's free and reduces my recycling pile......
I tried cardboard but unless I tore it up into strips or made a lot of holes in it the soil underneath did not get water from rain.

/ Mulch around trees, yes or no? #16  
No, I haven't personally heard of any compatibility problems but I only use what is supplied in bulk specifically for landscape use. I suppose its possible to have problems if you're using what a tree service grinds up if the trees were carrying pests, disease or toxins but I think the risk would be pretty low and I don't know of anything specifically to look out for. Cedar is toxic to lots of things so I wouldn't use it in areas where animals would be exposed to it at length.
If possible, I'd also try to avoid mulch from walnut trees. The juglone is bad: Black Walnut Tree Toxicity - What Plants Are Immune?