Mulching/clearing opinions

/ Mulching/clearing opinions #1  

ScottOkla

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030HST, M9000, B7610
We have 150 acres of bottomland that we have been gradually clearing for the last 7 years, but we are only able to do a few acres per year. This is primarily made up of pecan trees and the occasional oak or ash, but which was not mowed in 20 to 30 years so there are many various seedlings and other brush that have taken over between and under the old, mature trees. It is almost entirely think brush now.

I would like to get this clearing done in a faster manner than I have been able to do thus far. Specifically, I have two areas of about 10-20 acres each that would be valuable to me cleared off. By "cleared off" I mean I want everything gone except the mature trees. Almost all of the trees to be removed are less than 12" in diameter. Most less than that. The rest is vines and underbrush.

Large equipment would not be able to do this work most of the year because of the damage caused in the soft soil. Usually July-October is the only time the ground will support large equipment without compaction. For this reason and and a few others, I have wondered whether mulching would be feasible. Since I want the mature trees left and everything else removed, it seems mulching might be more economical and beneficial to the soil than other options. I have read a lot of the the threads on this topic and it has peaked my interest.

I would appreciate opinions on how costly this would be to mulch and the best overall approach to take for this situation. I currently spend 20 to 30 days per winter running the chainsaws thinning the mature trees in the 80 acres we have cleared and also clearing new areas with our tree shear and grapple. I just don't want to take another 7 or 8 years to finish the remaining work. My father and uncles are really getting up there in age and I want them to see the place like it was when they were kids. It is a tough choice to make when weighing quicker/costlier vs. slower/cheaper.

I would also appreciate it if anyone has any experience with mulching contractors close to NE Oklahoma that they would share.

/ Mulching/clearing opinions #2  
Either way you do it, you'll need to make a large commitment to keeping this large acreage under control otherwise you'll end up right back where you started. As I have been "parking out" my land I have noticed that keeping it clear uses up a significant amount of resources. It is much easier to maintain completely cleared land.

/ Mulching/clearing opinions #3  
I think I would invest in something like this, or hire someone to mulch out the forest.

Attachments

• Skid%20Steer%20Forestry%20Mulcher%201.jpg
    Skid%20Steer%20Forestry%20Mulcher%201.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 3,411
   / Mulching/clearing opinions
We manage and harvest the pecans and the main reason I want the area cleared faster is to start bringing it into production sooner -thus the desire to keep the mature trees and thin them over time to keep the productive ones.

I have only been living back here for 7 years and devote what free time I have to improving the place -just not enough free time to get it done quickly with the tools I have. Like you said, trying to manage the cleared area and also clear significant new area is a lot more work than people think, especially old pecan trees since they drop many large and small branches on a regular basis and the fertile bottomland encourages really fast weed and seedling growth. It's tempting to lease it out for cattle, but I'm just not interested in that right now.

I just need more information on mulching costs and time for this area.

/ Mulching/clearing opinions #5  
The price will depend on the density of the material you want thinned. If I am cutting blackberries with only a few trees then the per acre price is pretty low. If, on the other hand, the cleared material is pretty thick and big then, well I think you get it. If the job is worth my while I will go anywhere to work. You can even check a few of my references on this site.

/ Mulching/clearing opinions #6  
Scott, I am in the process of having the exact same thing (including the vines!) done but on a smaller scale. Mulching is definitely the way to go in your case I think. CBTurf (posted above) is doing the work for me and it has been quality so far. I can recommend him without hesitation. My biggest concern was compaction of our soil and disturbing the root systems of the larger trees I was keeping on our acreage. The machine cb uses left no changes in the contour of the land nor did it disturb or break up the root systems of trees I was keeping. Good way to go. He's a good one to bounce specific questions off of as well... i bombarded him with questions before we got started on my acreage.

/ Mulching/clearing opinions
One big issue for me is the market value of the land "as is" vs the value of the land cleared of the undergrowth. While I would love to have this specific piece of land cleared, it's hard to spend as much doing it as it would cost to buy a good, cleared piece nearby.

The market value of my specific piece is about $700 per acre as is (recreational), but would be about $1100-1200 cleared (agricultural). Now to me it would be worth more since I have an emotional attachment to it, but I have to keep things in perspective since I (nor my wife) don't want to be loosing money, or should I say a lot more money.

In general there are about an average of 20 to 30 trees to keep per acre, with small hardwood trees or shrubs (about 4 to 8 inches in diameter) every 5 feet or so apart in between the mature trees. There is a lot of variation, but this is a typical scenario. It cannot be attacked efficiently with a brush hog or with the tree shear due to the number and density of the seedlings, but I still work at it every weekend. I will try to get some pictures over this weekend.

I appreciate the responses, especially you guys like cbturf. I have read a lot of the threads about this topic on this board, and I have learned a lot about the mulching machines. I know its is hard to give accurate opinions based on just my descriptions or even pictures, but I appreciate you guys telling me what you think. I have not located anyone in my area to give me mulching estimates, although there are lots of dozer people that are finding themselves with some extra time lately.

/ Mulching/clearing opinions #8  
Either way you do it, you'll need to make a large commitment to keeping this large acreage under control otherwise you'll end up right back where you started. As I have been "parking out" my land I have noticed that keeping it clear uses up a significant amount of resources. It is much easier to maintain completely cleared land.

Isn't this the truth, it doesn't take to long to "lose it" and have to start from scratch again.

People buy a dozer to use, then sell, you can do the same with a mulcher. They are fun to watch!

/ Mulching/clearing opinions #9  
Selective clearing with a dozer is a VERY bad option if you are planning on keeping any crop trees. When you scrape the small trees you will disturb the feeder roots of the keeper trees. Since you will be relying on these keeper trees for some income, keeping them as healthy as possible is very important. Not to mention that when you have a mulcher clear for you he will be incorporating all of the biomass back into your soil feeding the crop trees. The layer of mulch on the soil will also help retain moisture for the crop trees. When a mulcher is done you will be able to maintain the property with your tractor and bushhog. I think you are getting the point. When you want a selective treatment there is only one way to go.

/ Mulching/clearing opinions #10  
Selective clearing with a dozer is a VERY bad option if you are planning on keeping any crop trees. When you scrape the small trees you will disturb the feeder roots of the keeper trees. Since you will be relying on these keeper trees for some income, keeping them as healthy as possible is very important. Not to mention that when you have a mulcher clear for you he will be incorporating all of the biomass back into your soil feeding the crop trees. The layer of mulch on the soil will also help retain moisture for the crop trees. When a mulcher is done you will be able to maintain the property with your tractor and bushhog. I think you are getting the point. When you want a selective treatment there is only one way to go.

HAve you done this before? :D :D