Multi-range PTO?

/ Multi-range PTO? #21  
With some other comments in this thread about over-speeding implements designed for 540 RPM PTO speeds, I wanted to also point out that Deere has an interlock when the PTO is in 540E mode that will not let the engine run above 1900 RPM and therefore prevent the 540 PTO from over-speeding. As a matter a fact, they also say that the safety interlock system won't even let the operator engage the 540E PTO mode unless the engine speed is under 1900 RPM.

/ Multi-range PTO? #22  
My Mahindra 4110 has a 2 speed PTO, 540 & 1000. Can't see the big advantage of a 600 (+/-) range if you've got a good gear selection on your tractor - mine is a 12 speed. Seems an extra 100 rpm's over 540 is splitting hairs when you can change gears and/or adjust engine rpm's slightly without loss of torque, at least on my tractor anyway.

/ Multi-range PTO? #23  
MY Branson 4720 has 540 & 1000
I think it's rated at about 45hp pto?
I see no reason to turn my engine at 2600 to get 540
to run a mower.
I run about 1500 in the 1000 range for brush and grass
and it does it effortless with 12 speeds.
I would how ever like to see a dyno graph for my engine.
And yes, I think 3 speed pto speeds would be the way to go.
Gene

/ Multi-range PTO? #24  
Hi,
OK, so I use an ag tractor (Case 4230) but I also can change PTO speed from 540 to 1000 simply by flicking a switch. Luckily the same shaft is used for both speeds which is a big help.
I use 1000rpm 99% of the time with my 8' finish mower as generally you do not need much torque for this type of application due to the shorter grass. The only thing you need to watch is that you don't allow the engine to lug down as this is not a good thing.
I don't have a big margin of error as when I'm running the PTO at 540rpm on the 1000rpm setting the engine is turning over at a sedately 1150rpm.
Luckily my dashboard is all digital and it displays the PTO shaft rpm so I can monitor it very accurately, which is good as there is not a lot of difference between 540rpm and overloading the mower gearbox (max 600rpm).
At first I checked with my dealer that it was OK to use the 1000rpm gear in this way and they confirmed that it was common practise when a lot of torque was not required (i.e finish mower work).
I would not use this method for tougher work such as bush hogging in taller/tough stuff.

/ Multi-range PTO? #25  
My Mitsubishi 18 hp has a four speed gear box for the pto, and once I knew the speeds, but have since forgotten what they were. First is good to 540 at 2300 rpm, so I run the mower in second at 1800. Both the mower and tractor seem to like that arrangement. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif