Multiple Window management

/ Multiple Window management #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
When you're reading a web page and see a link you would like to check out after you finish the one you are on, you can open it in a second window. Problem is, with the way my computer is anyway, it opens the page right on top of the one you are trying to read. To move it, you have to interupt your reading and then go back and find where you left off. Any way to set a computer so that the new page opens behind the original page?

John

/ Multiple Window management #2  
This is becoming a common suggestion around here, and I am sure some of us are going to be sounding like true zealots. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Have you tried Firefox yet?

Firefox (and Opera and Netscape and Jaguar) have the ability to open a new tab for a link, instead of a new window. You can then configure the new tab to be opened in the background, and not disturb your current train of thought. When you get a chance, you can skip over there a read what was interesting to you.

Dave

/ Multiple Window management #3  
<font color="blue"> When you're reading a web page and see a link you would like to check out after you finish the one you are on, you can open it in a second window. Problem is, with the way my computer is anyway, it opens the page right on top of the one you are trying to read. </font>

Seeing that you don't want to read the link right away, have you thought about right-clicking on the link and selecting "Copy Shortcut"? Then, when you are ready, you can open a new window and paste the link into the Address, or just Paste it into the Address of your current window.

For me, moving the focus back to the original window and finding the place where I was reading is not difficult at all. You aren't browsing with your windows maximized are you?

/ Multiple Window management
Dave and DAVE,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them both.

John

/ Multiple Window management #5  
John,

Another browser option is Avant. As you can see on the attachment, it also allows you to use tabs, and gives you the option of opening new "tabs" in the foreground or background.

I've been using Avant for about two months, after it was recommended by several TBNers. It works great for me. Oh, and it's an overlay over MS Internet Explorer.

Attachments

• 497045-Clipboard01.jpg
    497045-Clipboard01.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 73