Multipurpose Chop Saw

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #21  
   / Multipurpose Chop Saw #23  
I like the old fashioned band saw.

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #24  
dex3361 said:
Here is a link to some of the cuts made with my uh umm... saw that cuts metal with a metal blade and doesnt get hot.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/157375-have-you-tried-hf-metal.html

Ibought one of the HF saws to cut pieces that are too big to put into my "cool-cut" 14" chopsaw, and they both do a great job- much cleaner cuts with square sharp corners and just slightly warm when done. I've used both over capacity with no problems.

I got the chopsaw on clearance about 3-4 years ago from TSC for $40 because it was discontinued and missing the carbide blade. Very luckily for me they forgot to give me some parts, and when I stopped in to get them, somone had returned one for a motor problem, so they gave me the unused blade off it for no charge.

I learned from that the it never hurts to ask.....

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #25  
If your going to be cutting anything other than tin i would steer clear of the HF saw... I used one at a friends house and it about died cutting 4 inch exhaust pipe... I have also used one of them metal chop saws with the toothed blade.. dont remember the brand but i will tell you this, be prepared for ALOT of noise when you pull that saw into metal.. but it worked very well.. better and faster than a conventional chop saw...

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #26  
snowjoker said:
If your going to be cutting anything other than tin i would steer clear of the HF saw... I used one at a friends house and it about died cutting 4 inch exhaust pipe... I have also used one of them metal chop saws with the toothed blade.. dont remember the brand but i will tell you this, be prepared for ALOT of noise when you pull that saw into metal.. but it worked very well.. better and faster than a conventional chop saw...

My cool cut saws cut smoothly and easily, and are less noisy than my 4.5"HF angle grinder.

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...

/ Multipurpose Chop Saw #27  
I have had an abrasive saw for 20 years and a dry cut for about 10 years. You have to be careful how you cut things with the dry cut saw as you can chip or break a tooth. Always plan your cut to ease the blade into the material, start the saw, let it come up to speed and gently push it into the material. Never force the blade, let it do the work. For example, on angle material you want the legs down so the web or "V" portion is up.

It's easy to chip a tooth if you try to start the saw on the edge of one of the legs as the tip of a tooth can catch on the tip of the edge - and bingo - you've chipped or lost a tooth. If you don't bend the blade in the process, a good sharpening shop can braze on a new tooth - but there's better than an 50% chance that in the process of catching the blade tip you've tweaked the entire blade slightly - and then you have a $100+ bill for a new blade.

You'll know when the blade gets dull as the cut speed and chip quality will change - have the blade sharpened immediately. Only use the saw for aluminum, brass, carbon steel, do not cut stainless - you will quickly ruin the blade.

I use both of my saws for specific materials like stainless only gets cut with the abrasive saw. I prefer to use the dry cut saw as the cuts are cleaner and more accurate - chips from the saw are part of how the saw works, they vacuum up easily - that's why I have a good shop vac.