/ Multitasking farmer #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
OldTractor-multitask.jpg

Bruce

/ Multitasking farmer #2  
That has got to be a Rube Goldberg picture!! Fantastic multi-tasking. Directional control - no joy there.

/ Multitasking farmer #3  
Wonder what makes it move? It looks pretty stationary to me.

/ Multitasking farmer #4  
Hmm. The roller in front was a bit confusing at first; pretty extraordinary to run a roller on farm land. Not only have I never seen it, I have never heard of it. On second thought, the "tractor" itself is more than a bit unusual. I suspect that it has a terrible tendency to flip over and the roller more or less adds the length and weight necessary for "stability". Driving a tractor with reins must be a real hoot! Too bad it never caught on...:rolleyes:

It must be assuring to know that if you fall off, that there is another disc right behind you.

/ Multitasking farmer #5  
Yes - fall off - evenly sliced and then spread.

/ Multitasking farmer #7  
Back in '77, We didn't have the luxury of being able to spend a month getting ready to plant and after a crop failure that summer, needed to get things done for any hope of a good crop the next year. I pulled a 8' disc, 8' packer, and 8' grain drill behind a 1942 IHC TD14 crawler. The soil was sandy loam and a wheel tractor we had could not pull the hill on the north side, so we brought the crawler. It was a sight to see, don't recall taking any pictures, IIRC, it took 16 days daylight to dusk to plant 300 acres in winter wheat. We got it done with what we had.

That crawler had 4-6" exhaust pipe sticking up perhaps 2' above the hood, no muffler on tractor or hearing protection on me. I could hear the little squeaks and noises and noticed immediately if a sound changed. Some of my fondest memories of farming was seeing the wheat come up and cover the ground and see no skips or overlaps..

Interesting picture, just looks like someone getting it done with what they had.

/ Multitasking farmer #8  
Hmm. The roller in front was a bit confusing at first; pretty extraordinary to run a roller on farm land. Not only have I never seen it, I have never heard of it. On second thought, the "tractor" itself is more than a bit unusual. I suspect that it has a terrible tendency to flip over and the roller more or less adds the length and weight necessary for "stability". Driving a tractor with reins must be a real hoot! Too bad it never caught on...:rolleyes:

It must be assuring to know that if you fall off, that there is another disc right behind you.

I think the guy was just trying something out.

A lot of farmers roll their fields now, they want it as smooth as possible, so they can plant and harvest faster.

/ Multitasking farmer #9  
Back in '77, We didn't have the luxury of being able to spend a month getting ready to plant and after a crop failure that summer, needed to get things done for any hope of a good crop the next year. I pulled a 8' disc, 8' packer, and 8' grain drill behind a 1942 IHC TD14 crawler. The soil was sandy loam and a wheel tractor we had could not pull the hill on the north side, so we brought the crawler. It was a sight to see, don't recall taking any pictures, IIRC, it took 16 days daylight to dusk to plant 300 acres in winter wheat. We got it done with what we had.

That crawler had 4-6" exhaust pipe sticking up perhaps 2' above the hood, no muffler on tractor or hearing protection on me. I could hear the little squeaks and noises and noticed immediately if a sound changed. Some of my fondest memories of farming was seeing the wheat come up and cover the ground and see no skips or overlaps..

Interesting picture, just looks like someone getting it done with what they had.

Wow. 16 days for 300 acres. With costs being what they are today, that wouldn’t be a profitable today.