Muskrat damage - how to repair?

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #11  
Sounds like you need a little of Captain and Taneil with these muskrats....

Muskrat love......

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #12  
Sounds like you need a little of Captain and Taneil with these muskrats....

Muskrat love......

That was America I think.

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #13  
Food for thought. If you destroy the beaver den without killing all the beaver, they will promptly set about cutting all the nearest trees. So, kill the beaver, then destroy the den.

Now just askin, why did you post in the Kioti section? John Deere folks have varmint problems also.

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair?
Muskrat love - very funny!

I posted here simply because I couldn't find anywhere else that seemed to fit, and I'm a Kioti guy.

Been "patroling" with my boy and his .22 each day. No sign of active dens on the dam, but we'll continue to watch for them and hopefully whack 'em if we see any. It is still a bit too wet to get the tractor where I need to, but I start that work soon as possible.

thanks,
Mike

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #15  
I'm sure beavers and muskrats can carry viruses, but you're probably thinking of Giardia, a flagellated protozoan parasite which causes giardiasis, also known as "beaver fever".
We've had beavers in our pond several times, but, after they cut down all the trees, they moved elsewhere.
Short of killing the critters whenever they show up, or totally draining the pond, the only other way I can think of would be to make the face of the dam unattractive to muskrats by, say, covering it with stones/ rip-rap or whatever. Shooting them is likely easier and a lot cheaper to do, though. In the short term, though you also could try pitching a few moth balls into their dens. That might chase them out; at the very least, they wouldn't have moth-eaten pelts when the trapper finally gets them.
BOB

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #16  
I just had a safety thought. You might tell your son to avoid shooting at swimming muskrats or beavers unless they are right against a bank. I know from scary experience that bullets can ricochet off the water.
BOB

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #17  
Believe it or not 22 lr bullets on water is more dangerous than 223 or 22250 varmint bullets. The ultra high velocity of centerfire on fragile bullets cause them to explode , not so with 22 lr solid lead and low velocity.

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #18  
Problem is, they were here first, and will probably outlast us. Any watershed provides habitat that foster muskrats and beavers. I think you will find shooting them a bandaid approach at best - nocturnal movements... Remove them this year and they will be back next year.
Trapping, while time consuming, is the most assurable way to keep such critters in check. Traps hunt 24/7. 220 connibers set underwater in the travel ways can clean out a pond of 'this years stock' quite efficiently and will not present a deadly threat to your pets. Just be aware, Like Arnold says, "They'll be back".