Comparison MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #51  
I would bet that MOST people NEVER take them off. It's not like you just pop them off in a couple of minutes and they are heavy to handle.
sure have to agree on that. I just got back from the dealer who was installing my weights this morning, and they were such a PITA that they take the wheels off and install them that way.
Serious finger crushers....
I barely even knew that they were on there
groan. I guess I'm going to be filling my tires also.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #52  
you asked about grapple weight. I should have bought the lighter duty 66 instead of the HD 72. Big difference in weight all the way out front.
GP
Width in Inches Weight in pounds
GPL 60 490
GPL 66 520
GPL 72 550
GP 60 760
GP 66 810
GP 72 850
GP 78 900
GP 84 960

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #53  
daugen said:
sometimes pictures are helpful. Here is the grapple I bought; I asked for a 66 and let myself get talked into a 72. Not a good idea for such a heavy duty grapple, which would be an awesome addition to a heavier tractor. I wanted one bucket that did it all, and I agree that the JR Long people build a seriously heavy duty grapple. This is just not the bucket/grapple combo to put on a 4200 pound tractor with a light rear end. No, no tires filled yet, but I may have to. Want to see how the wheel weights help first.
And from a lift capacity, I could barely pick up the log on top, which granted was seriously heavy oak, and could not curl with it at all. Having the loader checked out for curl right now. But I thought a tractor this size could pick up more...maybe that log weighed a ton, but I don't think so.

I doubt there's anything wrong with your curl cylinders. That bucket is just deep and heavy. Any idea what it weighs? I think it's intended for a much larger machine. I'm will to bet its at least 750 lbs.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #54  
you asked about grapple weight. I should have bought the lighter duty 66 instead of the HD 72. Big difference in weight all the way out front.
GP
Width in Inches Weight in pounds
GPL 60 490
GPL 66 520
GPL 72 550
GP 60 760
GP 66 810
GP 72 850
GP 78 900
GP 84 960

The grapple bucket really is a compromise either way. As a bucket, it isn't as useful as the standard bucket since it is much heavier duty than required. I can't tell for sure, but it seems like the bottom lip of the bucket is also much longer than a standard bucket, which of course reduces the breakout force by a large amount.
As a grapple, it isn't as useful as an open bottom grapple. Unfortunately someone talked you into buying this without realizing the compromises that you would be making.

As you've seen already, a better match would be a lighter duty dedicated open bottom grapple, and a standard bucket. However, maybe your specific situation calls for using a bucket and grapple at the same time very often. I can see in this specific situation the 'all in one' would be a good idea, so you wouldn't have to constantly switch back and forth. For my specific situation, I almost never use my bucket, so for me it's a no brainer, but each situation can be different.

If you don't need to use your bucket and grapple often together, you may want to consider selling that to someone with a heavier duty skid steer and buying a cheaper, dedicated grapple like the OBG-2.

As you've seen, weight is really important. I went with filled rear tires (rimguard) and a heavy duty box blade for ballast. As I mentioned for my situation this works out well (I know realistically I would never remove wheel weights if I had them). However, I do feel like I'm almost "overloading" my tractor with the HST transmission.

So many decisions to make, and there are compromises everywhere, unfortunately there is no one "correct" way to do things. But then again, that's what makes these discussions interesting. :thumbsup:

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #55  
greatly appreciate the advice from all. The dealer is putting a pressure gauge on the FEL hydraulics and will check to make sure that is within proper range. If so, I'm going to have to live with it, due to the weight of the whole combo. At least for now.
GP72 850 pounds....

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #56  
daugen said:
greatly appreciate the advice from all. The dealer is putting a pressure gauge on the FEL hydraulics and will check to make sure that is within proper range. If so, I'm going to have to live with it, due to the weight of the whole combo. At least for now.
GP72 850 pounds....

Yeah 850 is HEAVY! I bet the stock bucket is only 225 at the most. So the 625 lbs of the stock loader capacity is being used to lift the big bucket.

You don't sound satisfied with the grapple bucket. Put it on Craig's List and sell it... Then get a stock Kubota bucket and a grapple with open bottoms like mentioned above.

That's just my opinion. Buying equipment is complicated. We have all made mistakes. But we can always fix the mistakes if warranted. The dealer shares some responsibility on this one. They sized it wrong.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #57  
I'd go for the M5140 if you want a Kubota. Not sure if you'd consider a Deere or not, but the 5E series are a lot of tractor for the money. The only problem is they don't have a hydraulic shuttle, but otherwise something like a 5055E is going to be more capable across the board than a M5140. The loader lift capacity is huge (our 5045E will lift almost as much as our M9540) and they can pull/push a lot more due to the extra weight. With that said, there comes a point where you must balance capability with convenience, and I'm not sure the non-hydro shuttle trans would be well suited to all-day grapple work (or more like your clutch leg might not be, lol). Either way, buy the most size/weight and loader capacity you can afford.

Attachments

• P1010611sm.JPG
    P1010611sm.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 217
   / MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #58  
I'd go for the M5140 if you want a Kubota. Not sure if you'd consider a Deere or not, but the 5E series are a lot of tractor for the money. The only problem is they don't have a hydraulic shuttle, but otherwise something like a 5055E is going to be more capable across the board than a M5140. The loader lift capacity is huge (our 5045E will lift almost as much as our M9540) and they can pull/push a lot more due to the extra weight. With that said, there comes a point where you must balance capability with convenience, and I'm not sure the non-hydro shuttle trans would be well suited to all-day grapple work (or more like your clutch leg might not be, lol). Either way, buy the most size/weight and loader capacity you can afford.

The new 5E series is available with hydro shuttle as well as cab :thumbsup:

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #59  
As mentioned, I won't be buying another tractor or a John Deere, but my son and I were at our Deere dealer a few days ago and looked briefly at the 5E Series with cabs and they are nice tractors.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #60  
Everything attachments has a nice youtube vid of a root grapple attached on a MX5100 and shows them working it.