MX5200 HST and Trans filter change

/ MX5200 HST and Trans filter change #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
The manual calls for HST and Trans fluid filters at 200 hours and filters and oil change at 400 hours.
My Question is this. How much oil is lost changing these filters and can it be captured and reinstalled?

/ MX5200 HST and Trans filter change #4  
I know people do that but the vacuum is very hard on the lip seals in the gearbox.

/ MX5200 HST and Trans filter change #5  
Be ready to for a quick switch of filters. Oil the gasket and move fast. I only lost a quart.

/ MX5200 HST and Trans filter change
Thanks for your replies bought a gallon Super UDT2

Last edited:
I must be slower than most. I lost almost 3 qts. :LOL: Good thing I got the gallon.
Easy enough to do. 200 hr service complete.

/ MX5200 HST and Trans filter change #8  
I must be slower than most. I lost almost 3 qts. :LOL: Good thing I got the gallon.
Easy enough to do. 200 hr service complete.

You are faster than I am. Our M59 has the same engine/transmission I believe.

But it worked out for the best because when I took the filter off, the pipe nipple that the filter screws onto was so loose it wiggled & was barely finger tight. Almost ready to fall out by itself. I drained all the oil and tightened that pipe nipple into the transmission block before putting the filter on.

rScotty

Yikes - I can only hope mine was not loose... as I spun one off the other on as quick as I could.

/ MX5200 HST and Trans filter change #10  
I've never heard of another one being loose - I was sort of surprised that it could even come loose.
I think that once the filter is snugged up nothing can move. The compression of the filter gasket not only prevents leaks, but I think it should keep the pipe nipple from turning too.

Here are pictures showing the pipe nipples we are talking about. Threaded on both ends. It looked to be a parallel pipe thread, but I didn't measure it.

rScotty Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 8.14.46 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-11 at 8.19.13 AM.png