MX6000 Alternator Belt

/ MX6000 Alternator Belt #1  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
Anyone change out the alternator belt on this model? Loosened the tensioner all the way and still cannot get the belt over the pully.

What am I missing or tricks welcome?

/ MX6000 Alternator Belt #2  
Anyone change out the alternator belt on this model? Loosened the tensioner all the way and still cannot get the belt over the pully.

What am I missing or tricks welcome?

Did your pulley actually move when you "loosened" the tensioner. As I recall, my Kubota has a nut (or bolt) that tightens down to hold the notched bracket and tension pulley in place. You can back off the threaded rod tension adjustment but the pulley won't move until you loosen that nut.

I know it's a dumb question, but had to ask.

/ MX6000 Alternator Belt
Did your pulley actually move when you "loosened" the tensioner. As I recall, my Kubota has a nut (or bolt) that tightens down to hold the notched bracket and tension pulley in place. You can back off the threaded rod tension adjustment but the pulley won't move until you loosen that nut.

I know it's a dumb question, but had to ask.
Yes there is a tensioner bolt, and on the bottom, I call it the alternator bolt. Both are loose.

The whole alternator moves when the bolts are loose. But the alternator itself will not get any closer to the engine block. And it needs to get closer to get the belt over it.

I appreciate your answer. Thanks.

/ MX6000 Alternator Belt #4  
Yes there is a tensioner bolt, and on the bottom, I call it the alternator bolt. Both are loose.

The whole alternator moves when the bolts are loose. But the alternator itself will not get any closer to the engine block. And it needs to get closer to get the belt over it.

I appreciate your answer. Thanks.
So the alternator will, or will not, slide in the notched bracket? If it's just loose and wiggles but won't slide in that notch, then there's a bolt (or nut) that has it locked down. I seem to recall scratching my head over this a while back but can't remember which Kubota tractor it was -- point being, it wasn't overly obvious. Seems like it was actually part of the tensioning bolt mechanism on mine that locked down. I'll have to go look now.

If the alternator is sliding in the notched bracket, then I have no more suggestions. But since you say it won't move closer to the engine, I assume it's not.

/ MX6000 Alternator Belt
So the alternator will, or will not, slide in the notched bracket? If it's just loose and wiggles but won't slide in that notch, then there's a bolt (or nut) that has it locked down. I seem to recall scratching my head over this a while back but can't remember which Kubota tractor it was -- point being, it wasn't overly obvious. Seems like it was actually part of the tensioning bolt mechanism on mine that locked down. I'll have to go look now.

If the alternator is sliding in the notched bracket, then I have no more suggestions. But since you say it won't move closer to the engine, I assume it's not.
The alternator slides freely in the notched bracket.

It does not slide any closer to the engine block, and the notched bracket has about 1/4 to 1/2 inch more available space to slide in that direction.

I will go re-examine to see if the tensioning notched bracket itself has any bolts to loosen.

Unfortunate there is barely any room to examine and or actually work in that area.

I got a call into the dealer for this and 400 hour servicing, plus my A/C needs to be looked at anyway.

They are making monies off me this month and last. :(

/ MX6000 Alternator Belt #6  
Thanks for the info. Sorry for all the dumb questions! Best of luck with it. ;)

/ MX6000 Alternator Belt
No dumb questions. I appreciate it.

I could not see any other bolts or tensioners holding the belt back. Maybe it shrunk. LOL. Or there is a secret Kubota process I am not privy too. Dealer said Wednesday for pickup. Oh well. Need a once over anyway. Just to be sure. That branch was in there. Tight. Surprised I did not take the fan out. Should have taken a pic, but I panicked.

/ MX6000 Alternator Belt #8  
I recently had to do this same task (alternator belt) and I learned from a YouTube video for an L series tractor that one trick is to completely remove both bolts from the alternator, then rotate it slightly (in place) to get the belt over the pulley, then re-insert with bottom bolt first, top bolt second. Easier said than done, it took me a good while to accomplish, but I did get the job done using that approach.

/ MX6000 Alternator Belt
I recently had to do this same task (alternator belt) and I learned from a YouTube video for an L series tractor that one trick is to completely remove both bolts from the alternator, then rotate it slightly (in place) to get the belt over the pulley, then re-insert with bottom bolt first, top bolt second. Easier said than done, it took me a good while to accomplish, but I did get the job done using that approach.
Good to know. I had the dealer do it since I had other service and maintenance that was needed. But dang..should not be that difficult.