My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES

/ My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES #1  

Fatdaddy

Tractor
Kubota
I just had this Massey Diesel engine rebuilt 3 mos ago.. Now I run it bushhogging about a hour it dies...
I wait about a hour half 2 hrs it starts back.
All new filters put on it 3 mos ago.

Any Ideals what this might be how to solve my problem...

David
Tennessee

/ My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES #2  
I just had this Massey Diesel engine rebuilt 3 mos ago.. Now I run it bushhogging about a hour it dies...
I wait about a hour half 2 hrs it starts back.
All new filters put on it 3 mos ago.

Any Ideals what this might be how to solve my problem...

David
Tennessee
Does it turn off or kill the engine with a key? Or does it have a cable kill on it?

/ My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES #3  
Disconnect the line from the fuel filter. Put a bucket or can under it. Be sure you have good steady flow from the tank. This is the point at which I'd start troubleshooting. Of course you'll have to bleed the air from the fuel lines when you reconnect the one you disconnected.

/ My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES #4  
Is the 1 hour run time consistant?
Disconnect the fuel line from the tank at the first fuel filter and follow roadworthy's instructions.
Check that the fuel cap vent is not partly blocked, causing a vacum in the fuel tank.
What is the model you have?

/ My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES #5  
Do you have checked the strainer on the fuel valve in the tank? If it's missing all kinds of trouble may happen.

/ My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES
To turn the tractor off you pull the cable red button out to stop it...
It runs a steady 1 hour bushhogging.
not sure of year one fellow told me in the early 70's
All I know is Massey 165 Diesel
I just had the engine complete rebuild 2 months ago.
All new filters
I go back 3hrs and it starts up

Last edited:
   / My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES
Yesterday when is shut off I did follow the hose from bottom of the tank to other side connets to a silver something on side of engine.. Then a metal tube goes to a filter. The filter has a GLASS bottom to it. Its full to halfway.. next time it shuts down I will take off hoses..
Thank yall for helping me. I'm old geyser and appreciate it.
Not swift on fixing

/ My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES #8  
Because you say it runs for an hour before quitting this should rule out a lot of fuel system issues. Fuel pump, filter, etc, if they were bad I would think the thing would quit a lot sooner. Someone else mentioned a vacuum lock and half empty fuel filter could be an indication of that. Try running the tractor with the fuel cap loose, just keep an eye on it that it doesn't vibrate right off.

/ My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES #9  
Yesterday when is shut off I did follow the hose from bottom of the tank to other side connets to a silver something on side of engine.. Then a metal tube goes to a filter. The filter has a GLASS bottom to it. Its full to halfway.. next time it shuts down I will take off hoses..
Thank yall for helping me. I'm old geyser and appreciate it.
Not swift on fixing
Next time you get close to the hour mark, loosen the fuel cap a bit and see if you make it pass that hour mark.

/ My 165 dies after running it about a hour it DIES #10  
Listen for a hiss when you loosen the cap. (clogged vent) If there is a screen in the tank any loose debris can clog it as fuel is drawn. btw, I don't quite get air in the sediment bowl. Could the fuel pump be sucking air when the line from the tank gets blocked? IMO the cap vent seems more likely.